2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2014 6:48 AM by wimdecorte

FileMaker Server 13 VM Partitions

rez190

When setting up a Windows virtual machine, should the drives be partitioned in this way:

1. OS

2. Applications - FM Server

3. FM Hosted Files

4. FM Backups

5. External container storage

What benefits does this configuration have over having everything on the C: drive?

Thank you,

Dave

• 1. Re: FileMaker Server 13 VM Partitions
          mikebeargie

If it's a virtual machine I don't know if I'd create any partitions, as all of your partitions are "virtual" drives anyways, so if the drive the VM is on fails, all fails.

I'd concentrate on making the RAID array on the VM server the best available. RAID 1+0 is often a good choice, RAID 5 is slower but will allow you to hot swap if a drive fails. If you have no control over the VMS then

Read this article:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9645/~/general-hardware-considerations-for-filemaker-server

I think your most important task will be making sure your backup strategy includes something that's offsite, as in not on the same server in case of failure.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Server 13 VM Partitions
            wimdecorte

Mike Beargie wrote:

If it's a virtual machine I don't know if I'd create any partitions, as all of your partitions are "virtual" drives anyways, so if the drive the VM is on fails, all fails.

Not necessarily true.  A good VM setup would use SAN for its hard drives, that are away from the host machine running the VMs. Using partitions like in the physical world then makes the same sense; different partitions can be on different parts of the SAN, different LUNs, etc.