7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2015 4:49 PM by ariley

Snapshot link and window size

ariley

Does anyone know how I can get define the window size?I tried:

1. maximizing the window at the beginning of the script
      2. Adjusting window to fit

yet when I open the snapshot link the window matches the original window to DB opens to before you create the snapshot link.

Thanks,
      Agi

• 1. Re: Snapshot link and window size
          mikebeargie

snapshot links are subject to the OnFirstWindowOpen triggers of the file, and taking apart a snapshot's format, there is nothing saving the window size to be processed after the layout loads.

Here's a simple look at a .fmpsl structure

<FPSL>

<UIState>

<UniversalPathList></UniversalPathList>

<Rows type="" rowCount="" baseTableId=""><![CDATA[]]></Rows>

<Layout id=""></Layout>

<View type="form"></View>

<SelectedRow type="" id=""></SelectedRow>

<StatusToolbar visible="True"></StatusToolbar>

<Mode value="browseMode"></Mode>

<SortList Maintain="True" value="False"></SortList>

</UIState>

</FPSL>

So given that, you would have to set the get(windowcontentheight), get(windowcontentwidth) and get(windowzoomlevel) in a record corresponding to your state each time those parameters are updated per-user, then reload those as part of the open script.

Of course that's theory, there may be a better way to save and reload those settings.

• 2. Re: Snapshot link and window size
            user19752

Easy ugly solution using filename.

This use Char(65518) as delimiter that never be used in window name and allowed in filename.

Is there better char ?

save .fmpsl

Set Variable [$path; Value:Get ( DesktopPath ) & Substitute ( List ( Get ( WindowName ) ; Get ( WindowHeight ) ; Get ( WindowWidth ) ; Get ( WindowTop ) ; Get ( WindowLeft ) ) ; ¶ ; Char(65518) ) & ".fmpsl"]

Save Records as Snapshot Link [“$path”; Records being browsed]

onWindowOpen trigger

Set Variable [$params; Value:Substitute ( Get ( WindowName ) ; Char(65518) ; ¶ )]

If [ValueCount ( $params ) = 5]

Set Window Title [Current Window; New Title: GetValue( $params ; 1 )]

Move/Resize Window [Current Window; Height: GetValue ( $params ; 2 ); Width: GetValue ( $params ; 3 ); Top: GetValue ( $params ; 4 ); Left: GetValue ( $params ; 5 )]

End If

This script doesn't restore maximization.

• 3. Re: Snapshot link and window size
              ariley

You know, I was thinking about something like this as a workaround.

But my question is: is this a bug in Fm or am I missing something here.

Best regards,

agnes b. riley

filemaker and web development

zeroblue

download vCard

TWO-TIME MAD DOG AWARD WINNER

FileMaker Certified in 10 and 11 • Member, FileMaker Business Alliance

T: 877 917-9079 . C: 917-660-7221

Store | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

• 4. Re: Snapshot link and window size
                steve_ssh

user19752,

You are brilliant.  This gets my vote for clever idea/workaround for the day.

A couple of comments/questions:

1) How did you decide upon 65518?  Did you just pick some aribitrary char that seemed unlikely that it would be used?

2) The one thing I might suggest, would be to include a simple escaping/unescaping routine to handle the case where there are illegal file path chars in the window title.

On OSX, the two chars that come to mind are:  /  and  :

I don't know what the Windows equivalent(s) would be.

In any event, patching these up would allow for window titles such as:   "Sales: Current"  or  "Shipping/Receiving"

Most of all, I really like how you were thinking on this one.  I can see why you might call it ugly, but it does seem to get the job done.

Best,

-steve

• 5. Re: Snapshot link and window size
                  mikebeargie

I would not think that it was a bug as I never recall it being an advertised feature of the snapshot link.

• 6. Re: Snapshot link and window size
                    user19752

Thanks!

1) Yes, I saw unicode table and pick it from about most bottom. The chars in the area (HALF WIDTH) may be used only in Japanese.

2) That should be done. Windows has more chars like \ + * ? " < > |

Including separator char to escape list, any char can be used.

• 7. Re: Snapshot link and window size
                      ariley

So, I just had to face the same issue again. I just added the aforementioned character to my script name and trapped for it in the window renaming script my client has. Mission accomplished.