5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2014 12:46 PM by nsmith9110@gmail.com

Best way to make a print form?

nsmith9110@gmail.com

So in the program I am working on, it became a neccessity to be able to print out a form containing every document a person has in their loan. It's seperated into many different portals and boxes and in order to make it where anyone with human eye sight can see it, I had to make it much larger than a standard legal size sheet of paper, and now I have the nightmarish task of re-creating in a printer friendly version. This layout has something like 35 different portals, about 60 text boxes, pictures, headings, shaded rectangles, basically just a lot. So I really want to find a way to make this legal paper sized without modifying each object. Does anyone know how to do this? Or at least have some ideas? They would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Best way to make a print form?
          keywords

If I have not properly understood the problem I apologise, but as far as I can tell you have a layout which you had to make very large in order to accommodate all its data, but now you want to print that layout on paper that is smaller than the layout itself.

If that is the isue, a possible solution is to produce a PDF of the layout (either print the report to PDF or Save As PDF, making sure you check Records being browsed). Then print the PDF to paper, since Acrobat can be set to resize to fit the paper size you are using.

• 2. Re: Best way to make a print form?
            nsmith9110@gmail.com

I thought about saving as a PDF but I was unable to find a way to save it locally and then still have my filemaker script print it out. Is this possible?

I don't want them to have to save it then minimize, open another program, and then print it. Much less open it, resize the file themselves, then print.

• 3. Re: Best way to make a print form?
              keywords

Yes this is possible, sort of—the actual printing would need to be done in Acrobat (or whatever PDF program you use), but you can automate getting to that point from FM.

1.     Manually, you can either (1) in either Browse or Preview mode, from the File menu choose Save/Send records as > PDF, or (2) in Preview mode use the Save as PDF button in the menu bar. Either way, in the dialog that then appears select the Automatically open file option. The file will then be save to wherever you nominate and then immediately appear in its natvie software, ready to be printed. (see screenshots)

2.     Via a script such as:

Set Variable [ $filepath; Value:Get ( TemporaryPath ) & "filename.pdf" ]

Save Records as PDF [ File Name: “$filepath”; Automatically open; Records being browsed ]
              [
              Document - Compatibility: Acrobat 7 and later ]
              [
              Pages - Number Pages From: 1; Include: All pages ]
              [
              Security - Printing: High Resolution; Editing: Any except extracting pages; Enable copying; Enable Screen Reader ] [ Initial View - Show: Pages Panel and Page; Page Layout: Single Page; Magnification: 100% ]

[ Restore; No dialog ]

Note that by using the Get ( TemporaryPath ) function the pdf exists only in FM's own temporary directory and as long as the current FM session.

Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 9.23.06 am.pngScreen Shot 2014-09-26 at 9.23.27 am.pngScreen Shot 2014-09-26 at 9.24.11 am.png

• 4. Re: Best way to make a print form?
                bigtom

Keywords has good advice for printing from PDF. Printing natively is a nightmare.

I would also suggest you may want to create a "print" layout where all the data is organized in a printer friendly way. You could then run a print script to jump over to that layout and then save as a PDF from there and return to the original layout. I use this on a daily basis and it is extreemly fast and effective way to get exactly what you want on each page without meesing with your current user interface layout.

You could also open it in a new window, but changing layouts is faster.

• 5. Re: Best way to make a print form?
                  nsmith9110@gmail.com

That was my first though the only problem is that it's a huge and complex layout with a lot of different items on it that I really don't want to have to go and resize indiviually. It's giong to take hours :/