deninger

The host's capacity was exceeded, try again later.

Discussion created by deninger on Sep 25, 2014
Latest reply on Jan 4, 2016 by realgrouchy

I have been wrestling with this error on and off again for awhile. It wasn't until today that I figured out what I think is happening. I would like some feedback.

I am running FileMaker Server typically with only 5 or so connections from users on FM 13. Because I previously ran FM 12 Server Advanced, I also have 25 Web / iOS connections, though I never actually have any of those connected (on the web or iOs, at least--see the discussion below).

To trouble shoot this issue, I created a simple log script to be run on the server. It receives a parameter and creates a new record in a log table.

Go to Layout ["Log" (log)]

New Record / Request

Set Field [Log::Message; Get (ScriptParemeter)]

Go to Layout [original layout]

I then created looping script that calls the log script on the server

Set Variable [$i; Value 0]

Set Variable [$interval; Value: 0.1] // will vary this from 0.001, 0.01 and 1 sec

Set Variable [$max; Value; 10] // will vary this as 25 and 50

Loop

Perform Script on Server ["Log Event (Event)" ; Parameter "Looping with interval of " & $interval & " $i =" & $i]

// Perform Script on Server [Wait for completion; "Log Event (Event)" ; Parameter "Looping with interval of " & $interval & " $i =" & $i] // to see if this makes a difference

Set Variable [$i ; Value: $i + 1]

Exit Loop If [$i > $max]

End Loop

The results:

$interval $max WaitForComplete Notes

1 sec 10 Yes 100% logged

1 sec 25 Yes 100% logged

1 sec 50 Yes 100% logged

1 sec 10 No 100% logged

1 sec 25 No 100% logged

1 sec 50 No 100% logged

0.1 sec 10 Yes 100% logged

0.1 sec 25 Yes 100% logged

0.1 sec 50 Yes 100% logged

0.1 sec 10 No 100% logged

0.1 sec 25 No 100% logged order of log lines creates not linear

0.1 sec 50 No 100% logged order of log lines creates not linear

0.01 sec 10 Yes 100% logged

0.01 sec 25 Yes 100% logged

0.01 sec 50 Yes 100% logged

0.01 sec 10 No 100% logged

0.01 sec 25 No 100% logged order of log lines creates not linear

0.01 sec 50 No 90% logged order of log lines creates not linear with Host Capacity Exceeded multiple times

DISCUSSION

1) It appears that once you start to push many requests at a time to the server without waiting for completing, this error comes up

2) It also may be a coincidence, but whenever I keep the number of requests below the number of Web connections availabe, no error is generated

3) If I exceed the number of Web Connections, the errors start to crop up and the script on server request is refused, resulting in lost data

HYPOTHESIS:

It appears that each instance of "Run Script On Server" is actually running as a separate connection to FM Server. If I look at the Web Admin-Console, I see each script instance show up briefly as a connection under Activity. Because I am not exceeding the total number of connections of FileMaker Pro at any given time (even if each script instance was a FM Pro instance, I am still under the 250 the server is set to accept because I only ran the script 51 times), these connections appear to be counted against my WEB connections.

So, if one does not have any web connections, does one get this error on each request to run a script on the server? I am curious if anyone (including those at FM) have any insight into this behaviour.

Mike

Outcomes