2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2014 11:04 AM by wimdecorte

WebDirect slower than Instant Web Publishing

rickgignetworks

i have the Trials apps and I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade to 13 or wait.

I'm a private developer of my own system that manages my whole business. I have been using FileMaker since 1997.  I waited a long time for Instant Web Publishing because I did not want to fuss with multiple systems like PHP or ODBC to present present my WebStore for such things as Telecommunications parts lists and solutions.  When IWP came along I was super happy.  My pages filled super fast, finds and sorts are lightning fast, even faster than FileMaker Pro talking to the same FM Server.  The performance of WebDirect is not even 40% the speed of IWP for doing the same things.  It is especially slow performing Finds and Sorts.  Is this what you expected?  It may be nice to have the whole application web enable but not at this sacrifice of speed.  The speed is such a problem that I may be stuck forever using the older versions and IWP and that would be very disappointing.  Please fill free to check out the GIG Networks WebStore by going to my website below and click the WebStore link on the left.

Thanks,

Rick Sommers

951-776-7963 mobile

Rick@GIGNetworks.biz

www.GIGNetworks.biz

• 1. Re: WebDirect slower than Instant Web Publishing
          Mike Duncan

IWP and WebDirect are two slightly different animals, and IWP has been put out to pasture.

IWP was never really meant to be a generally accessible site, there are limits to how many users can be supported, among other issues. That means that every user gets allocated RAM on the server for a session that is maintained for the duration of their session, with a 15 minute timeout, unless they click on the logout button.

In webdirect the same is true but only moreso, and this is also dependent on how many users you have licensed for access.

I would not recommend using this for a web store that just anyone can get to, not even if your expected traffic is very low.

• 2. Re: WebDirect slower than Instant Web Publishing
            wimdecorte

Fully concur with Mike.

There are a couple of things to consider here.  Purely from a a functionaltiy point of view you may be better served by one of the existing shopping cart solutions.  From  a security point of view it may be better to separate the web store from the back-end database.

So whether it is IWP or WebD you may want to take that into account and use a more traditional shopping cart approach..