3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2014 8:07 AM by sue

Intranet solution going forward?

sue

We have an inhouse intranet using IWP to disseminate and collect information from employees who do not have filemaker pro on their work computers.  While the IWP solution has been rather slow, it has been a workable solution for a good variety of purposes, up until now.

Since IWP is not supported by newer versions of Filemaker, I am trying to figure out what to do going forward as it seems clear that at some point soon the current system will just not work. 

I am currently upgraded to Filemaker Pro Advanced 13, but most of the other computers in the company are still using FM 12.  We are currently using FM Server 12 but are planning to upgrade to FM Server 13 as soon as I figure out how to handle the intranet problem.

I was thinking I would need to create a new FM intranet file for use via WebDirect, but after some initial reading about WebDirect, I started to have a lot of doubts that it is the solution to our intranet problem.

First I am concerned about the cost of individual connections to a WebDirect file--and the limit to 50 concurrent users, though I am a bit confused if this might not be an issue since we will be using FM Server 13?

I also found this statement on the FM website: "Keep in mind that Filemaker Pro 13 and Filemaker Pro 13 Advanced do not support Filemaker WebDirect."  Surely that statement is incorrect?   See http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13102/~/understanding-concurrent-connections  -- the table at the bottom of the page

That has me really confused as I thought WebDirect was the go forward way for FM data to be displayed in a web browser. I was reading the Filemaker 13 WebDirect Guide-- which would seem to imply that FM Pro 13 does support Web Direct and it certainly offers WebDirect compatability info in the script manager. 

So now I am feeling confused about what direction I should be heading to maintain/upgrade an intranet system to share and gather information that is handled in our company's Filemaker Pro databases via a web browser.

Looking for advice/suggestions/clarifications before I spend a lot more time learning about WebDirect and trying to create a solution using it.

• 1. Re: Intranet solution going forward?
          Mike_Mitchell

Hello, Sue. Let's see if we can't clear up some of the confusion.

First, the statement about Pro and Advanced 13 not supporting WebDirect means you can't share a database using those products over WebDirect. You have to use Server, unlike IWP (where you could use the client to host the database using the web). So yes, WebDirect is the path forward for simplified web publishing. It sounds like you're already in a position to handle it, since you're running Server, so this is a non-issue.

Next, the concurrent connection "limit" is a recommendation based on a typical server setup and is based on reasonable / acceptable performance. If you juice up the hardware and are careful about how you design the solution, you might be able to do better. But I'd be careful with this; WD is pretty demanding.

Along those lines, however, it's worth considering the "concurrent" connection means simultaneous connections. If you don't have people constantly connected to the server, then you might have many more users than you actually need connections. This is due to a demand / diversification load principle. If I hop in, and then get out, and then you connect, we've still only used one connection. If, however, your users log in and stay in, then you'll need more connections.

All that said, much will depend on how many users you have and how beefy your hardware is. But if you mind how you design the solution and don't try to load it down too much, I think you'll find WebDirect has vastly more capability than IWP. You're already off to a good start by reading through the WebDirect Guide. Mind what it has to say, and don't be shy about asking questions here.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Intranet solution going forward?
            planteg

Sue,

the way I understand is that FileMaker Pro and Pro Advanced can't (host) share a file that would be accesses through WebDirect. In short, only the Server Version would allow for connection with WebDirect.

Lets see what the gurus think about his .

Edit

Gosh I was beaten by Mike .

• 3. Re: Intranet solution going forward?
              sue

Thanks--that makes more sense than the way I was understanding it.