6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2014 6:43 PM by keywords

"Other" function

ErikWegweiser

I accidentally typed the word Other (without quotes) when naming a Tab Control tab and was surprised to find that FileMaker 13 accepted it. In browse mode and in the Data Viewer, this mystery function resolves to the value 10 (in my solution). I have no such custom function or field name in my solution. Rather interesting. I know there are a few such undocumented reserved words in FM, but haven't started or seen a list lately.

• 2. Re: "Other" function
          ErikWegweiser

Wonderful! Thanks.

• 3. Re: "Other" function
            keywords

Interesting discovery. I was aware of reserved words, having occasionally stumbled on one when naming a field, for example, but hadn't come across this list. Thanks Mike.

The question that arose in my mind, however, is why Other resolves as 10. I played around with some of the other (sorry, "other"!) reserved words and most of them resolve to some number or other, even if it is just 0 or 1. False obviously resolves as 0, true as 1. And and or are treated as operators, so they don't resolve to a number when used on their own. Pi resolves to 3.14159…etc. But why does Bold = 256? Or TitleCase = 48? Or  Extend = 16384?The odd one out is DatabaseNames which resolves to TEST. I assume there is some underlying logic to the actual numbers.

And here is today's completely useless fact: SimplifiedChinese – Cyrillic = 4.  Now you know.

• 4. Re: "Other" function
              BeatriceBeaubien

Hello keywords,

At least one reason is the underlying logic permits the addition of number equivalents of text styles to be applied by using the sum of the styles.

For example, TextStyleAdd ( Text ; 304) results in the Text field having both Bold and TitleCase styles applied.

Ray Cologon provides the useful equivalence table at http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/Resources/ReservedWords.html

From that page "The numeric value associated with a reserved word (as shown above) may be used interchangeably with the word itself in all calculation expressions."

Further, the method of incrementing the numbers provides (theoretically, in any case) unique sums for styling text.

Best wishes,

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

i2eye, Toronto, Canada

FileMaker Business Alliance

FileMaker Certified Developer

Knowledge Translation Certified Professional

On Oct 2, 2014, at 19:37, keywords <noreply@filemaker.com> wrote

created by keywords in General - View the full discussion

Interesting discovery. I was aware of reserved words, having occasionally stumbled on one when naming a field, for example, but hadn't come across this list. Thanks Mike.

The question that arose in my mind, however, is why Other resolves as 10. I played around with some of the other (sorry, "other"!) reserved words and most of them resolve to some number or other, even if it is just 0 or 1. False obviously resolves as 0, true as 1. And and or are treated as operators, so they don't resolve to a number when used on their own. Pi resolves to 3.14159…etc. But why does Bold = 256? Or TitleCase = 48? Or  Extend = 16384?The odd one out is DatabaseNames which resolves to TEST. I assume there is some underlying logic to the actual numbers.

• 5. Re: "Other" function
                user19752

I think enum and set data type document will help you.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/enum.html

• 6. Re: "Other" function
                  keywords

We never stop learning, and we never know where the learning will take us.