5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2014 2:26 AM by erolst

Calculating Avg based on date...

alinicjones

I have a database where i need to calculate the examiner's average only within 2 years. I have a table named Oral Exam and one name Facilitator.

Oral Exam Fields:

- OralExam ID

- FacilitatorID (match field)

- Oral Exam Date

- Exam Score

- Days Since Exam (Unstored, Calculation: Get (CurrentDate)-Oral Exam Date )

Facilitator Fields:

- Facilitator ID

- Overall Oral Exam Avg (Unstored, Calculation: ( Average ( facilitator_ORALEXAM::Score ) ) )

- Oral Exam Avg Criteria (Global) this is the amount of days that we want to see their examiner average from. Right now it is set for 730 days, which is 2 years.

- 2Yr Oral Exam Avg this is the field i need to figure out how to calculate.

I'm trying to do this though a relationship. But I must be doing something wrong. I made a copy of my Oral Exam Table Occurrence (TO) and connected it to my Facilitator TO. Matching the Facilitator ID and then connecting 2 fields I just created.

Facilitator Table – Include in 2Yr Avg (Text)(Global, Auto-enter Calculation) “Yes”

Oral Exam Table – Include in 2Yr Avg (Calculation) (Unstored, = If ( ( Days Since Exam <= oralexam_FACILITATOR::Oral Exam Avg Criteria ) ; “Yes” ; “” )

I matched those two fields to = each other.

I need to be able to use this field in a number of layouts so i can't just use a summary report option. I also need it to update itself. Any ideas and/or help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need any further information. Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Calculating Avg based on date...
          erolst

In Facilitator, create a calculated date field as

Get ( CurrentDate ) - Oral Exam Avg Criteria (number of Days)

and create a relationship where

Facilitator::calculatedDateField <= Oral Exam::date

Facilitator::FacilitatorID = Oral Exam::FacilitatorID

Now calculate your average via that relationship.

• 2. Re: Calculating Avg based on date...
            erolst

alinicjones wrote:

I'm trying to do this though a relationship. But I must be doing something wrong. I made a copy of my Oral Exam Table Occurrence (TO) and connected it to my Facilitator TO. Matching the Facilitator ID and then connecting 2 fields I just created.

Facilitator Table – Include in 2Yr Avg (Text)(Global, Auto-enter Calculation) “Yes”

Oral Exam Table – Include in 2Yr Avg (Calculation) (Unstored, = If ( ( Days Since Exam <= oralexam_FACILITATOR::Oral Exam Avg Criteria ) ; “Yes” ; “” )

I matched those two fields to = each other.

As to this approach: you cannot use an unstored field in the “right” side of a relationship – and it needs to unstored for Get ( CurrentDate) to update correctly.

That's why in my suggestion the date manipulation is performed on the frontend, instead of the backend.

• 3. Re: Calculating Avg based on date...
              alinicjones

Awesome!! Thank you so much!!!

• 4. Re: Calculating Avg based on date...
                Mike_Mitchell

"That's why in my suggestion the date manipulation is performed on the frontend, instead of the frontend."

I guess depending on which way you're viewing the relationship ... ?  

• 5. Re: Calculating Avg based on date...
                  erolst

Mike_Mitchell wrote:

"That's why in my suggestion the date manipulation is performed on the frontend, instead of the frontend."

I guess depending on which way you're viewing the relationship ... ?  

Right  … thanks for the catch.