5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2014 1:10 AM by MartinBridges

Is there a way to open a remote file without the user name and password dialogue box appearing?

MartinBridges

Evening

I have two files on a server. Both have distinct user names and passwords.

Whilst in the 1st file (via a value list pulled from the second file) and then using a script in the 1st file I want to populate address fields in the 1st file from the info in the 2nd file.

Which I've done and it works great. Save for the fact that the username and password has to be in both files.

If someone authorised to use the 1st file (but not the 2nd) acesses the value list then they are prompted for a user name and password for the 2nd file.

Ideally any authorised user of the 1st file should be allowed access to this value list and script.

Is there a way to script (in the 1st file) a way to enter username and password in the second? Without any dialogue box opening?

I've played about with re-login but I can't seem to avoid having to enter a U&P when the file first opens.

Thanks for any suggestions

Martin

• 1. Re: Is there a way to open a remote file without the user name and password dialogue box appearing?
          BruceHerbach

You can set a default log in for the file.  You do this under File Options.  You can include a password.  I believe the Open File script step will use the current credentials when opening the file as long as the username and password is the same in both file.

If you do end up using the default login and password method,  make sure that this account is not a full access account.

HTH

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is there a way to open a remote file without the user name and password dialogue box appearing?
            jamiebah

Create the same account name(s) or group(s) in file 2 as you have in file 1.  In file 2, give them read only access if your worried about data being changed.

In the privileges area, you can deny access to layouts, printing, importing/exporting, etc. You can also block access to layout mode, preview mode and find mode.

I would suggest maybe giving read only access to the data, and deny access to the layout in file 2.  You could also allow access to a specific layout that says something like "you are not authorized to see this", for the users that should not see the 2nd file.  Other account names can have full access to the 2nd file.

It would have helped to know more about the environment, are you using FileMaker Server?  If so, is it tied into Active Directory or Open Directory?

This method works well when using FileMaker Server with AD or OD.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Is there a way to open a remote file without the user name and password dialogue box appearing?
              MartinBridges

Thanks both for your comments.

I've always done the user name and passwords in both files in the past. In fact I've had to set up scripts that allow managers to enter new accounts that appear in both files etc to simplify the user interface.

What I was hoping was if I could set up a generic password in file [1]. That if anyone was given access to file one they automatically had access to file [2].(at the click of a button - so to speak)

I've been playing with the script step re login. ie if Fred signs into [1] it auto logs him in as 'generic' which then gives him access to file [2]. It sort of works but I then use the personal login name for keeping tabs on who modifies records etc, so have to script round that.

Thought I'd come across a neat (& safe) way of getting round the complexities of user names. Passwords, privilege sets etc

regards

Martin

• 4. Re: Is there a way to open a remote file without the user name and password dialogue box appearing?
                user19752

I had done similar thing on FM6 (too old...) , using Bruce's way and add one,

make a file it have defalut login

create a script in it to open other file (your [2])

call the script from any another file (your [1])

Then, your[2] doesn't need set to default login.

I don't test this way on later versions.

And you haven't answered for question of jamiebah, if you use server and server side auth, there should be many difference.

As of FM13v2, you can use fmp: prtocol.

Open URL [No dialog; "fmp://" & username & ":" & password & "@server/filename" ]

• 5. Re: Is there a way to open a remote file without the user name and password dialogue box appearing?
                  MartinBridges

Thanks 'User'

Having that intermediary file is a great idea. I like it.

And yes the files are being hosted on a server13. I'll try that route too.

Thanks Martin