3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2014 2:09 PM by Mike_Mitchell

how to select multiple records

fliss

I have a found set of records, and user wants to perform an operation on a specific subset of these. At moment she marks each record individually - tedious as often more than 20. Is there a way to select multiple records, as one might do in excel (does not have to be the same method)?

Thanks for any help.

Felicity

• 1. Re: how to select multiple records
          Mike_Mitchell

Felicity -

Presumably, this is in a List view? If so, you can set up a button for the user to click that, when clicked with no modifier key, starts the selection, and, when clicked with a modifier key (say, Shift) completes the selection. You can then use Get ( RecordNumber ) to mark the starting and ending points and mark all records in between. Alternatively, you can just change the button's appearance using Conditional Formatting to indicate that a selection has been started and then, should the user choose the same record, simply cancel the operation (or just choose the one record, based on your business rules).

NOTE: I suggest you use a variable to mark the user's selections. Marking a field on each record will not be multi-user safe, as one user's selections will interfere with another user's selections. You can create a return delimited list of selected keys and use that to determine what records have been selected.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: how to select multiple records
            fliss

wow, that was quick.

thanks sooo much Mike.

thought it might be something like this, but glad to have method affirmed by an expert.

felicity

• 3. Re: how to select multiple records
              Mike_Mitchell

Well, eventually an expert might confirm. Until then, you can work with what I gave you.