3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2014 4:27 PM by Stephen Huston

Exporting Text to a Text doc from a $variable

mcrostie

Hi All

I require to "paste/send $variable" to a text doc

I have the script going to my field in my first record and "Set Variable" my text "$text"

I then want to place / paste "$text" into an external text editor and then loop back into FM for the next record.

Is this possiable or do I need a plugin

Thanks

Michael

• 1. Re: Exporting Text to a Text doc from a $variable
          Stephen Huston

FMP won't support the external operation unless you program it outside FMP as an OS-level/external event, which can be called by FMP scripts.

You can, however, loop through the records collecting all of the text from one or more fields of multiple records into one variable if you set the calculation to for the variable:

Set Variable $text = $text & P(ara symbol) & FieldValueToAdd

This will give you a variable which has Para-delimited values from each record collected iton the single variable.

You then need to Set that $text variable valuable into an accessible global field so you can script copying it to your clipboard for pasting it manually (or scripted via an external OS-level action) into another application.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Exporting Text to a Text doc from a $variable
            mcrostie

Thanks Stephen,

One copy and paste was better that 80 odd - and it took seconds...

I need to think more like that

Regards

Michael

• 3. Re: Exporting Text to a Text doc from a $variable
              Stephen Huston

I think most of the time we set a $variable to a single value that we need to track through the script, and that's it.

It's easy to forget that variables can be used to stack up a ton of text just as easily, depending on RAM, disk space, and speed.