AnsweredAssumed Answered

Advice Sought: Mirrored Image Backup?

Question asked by MicheleOlson on Oct 13, 2014
Latest reply on Oct 23, 2015 by TimOwen

I am looking for advice on the best way to setup a mirrored image backup of a FileMaker Server computer. The client in question experienced hardware failure several years ago. Although they had daily offsite backups of their FileMaker solution (as well as local 2-hourly ones), their IT technician at the time failed to contact their FileMaker developer for over a week regarding the situation, so the client was without their database for that period of time. Once contacted, the most recent backup was installed on the new server and they were up and running in less than 30 minutes.

This hardware failure causes the technician to be very concerned about backups. For a period of time, he did not work for them, but he is now back. They recently purchased new hardware and migrated to FileMaker Server 13. He wants to develop a failsafe method to prevent the situation that occurred before.

I have multiple backup schedules in place for backing up their FileMaker files - both to local locations and offsite locations. He wants to create a backup that would be a mirror of the entire computer.

It would seem to me that a mirror image of the computer (without FileMaker server running or files open) could be stored to be brought up and installed on a new computer if needed in the future. At that time, the most recent backup of the FileMaker files would be uploaded to this newly setup computer and all would be good.

Is there some other scenario that gives a client more assurance than this? I'm not experienced with creating an image file of a computer, but I believe this is a task he can manage.

I appreciate any thoughts or advice on this that you can offer,

Michele

Outcomes