AnsweredAssumed Answered

Looking for an email conversation ID

Question asked by BMyers on Oct 13, 2014
Latest reply on Oct 21, 2014 by BMyers

Imagine that you are creating an app that includes letting users take notes. A user might write: "Today after a long email discussion among the team we decided to assign tasks as follows..." I'm looking for a way to link the FMP note to the email conversation so a user can drill down to the string of emails if they want. The goal is to create just a simple time-saver over switching apps then manually searching for the email conversation.

Here's what I have so far. Every email has an identification called message_ID. I can extract the message_ID by having FMP run an AppleScript and insert the result into a FMP field. [Imagine a FMP table named Linked_Email with a field named Message_ID. The LinkedEmail table then has a relationship connection to the FMP Notes table]. Then, I can have Safari display that email by writing a FMP script that puts that message_ID into the Safari URL line with the syntax like this: message://<FMP_TableName::FMP_FieldName>

OK. So far, so good. I have two questions for improvements.

1) With this method Safari will open one particular email. I'd like to display the email conversation rather than a single email.

2) I'd like to display the email in AppleMail rather than Safari.

The reason for these improvements is that a person reviewing their notes might want to see the whole email conversation, and seeing it in the mail app provides the whole thread in context. Does email even have a conversation ID? I can't find one.

Thanks,

Brian

Outcomes