5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2014 2:51 PM by keywords

related value lists

barenose

Hey everyone,

I have a bunch of value lists that update according to the number of records in the file, for example, one of them shows the record ID and the contact name. They draw from those two fields in the contact table. There are about 3,000 records in the data table.

These take forever to load sometimes, and I wonder if there's a faster way to make them load?

I've tried loading them all into a separate table, just those two fields, and updating that table daily, but the load time is still very long. Of course, once the index is created, they zip along OK.

Ideas?

All the best,

JB, The Creative One

http://www.barenose.com

info@barenose.com

• 1. Re: related value lists
          filemaker_mmfg

How you show the list in the field?

Try to use a drop-down list instead of pop-up menu.

Then, pressing (for example) "F" on the keyoard, the list will scroll to the rows  starting with "F".

This gains a lot of time even in very long list.

• 2. Re: related value lists
            Mike_Mitchell

"Of course, once the index is created, they zip along OK."

Well, that seems to be an indicator. What exactly is slow - the display of the value lists once invoked? Are they always slow, or do they speed up after the first time they're called?

Is this a hosted database? If so, what kind of network - LAN, WAN?

How many fields are in the table from which the value list is drawn?

It may not be the indexes per se (because once a field is indexed, it's indexed), but loading the records to create the list over the network that's causing the problem.

• 3. Re: related value lists
              barenose

Hey Mike,

It's hosted on a FileMaker Server, LAN and WAN.

Slow means waiting 20-30 seconds for the list to update and reveal itself. I can physically use the mouse to scroll through, but not use type-ahead to get down the list.

There are two fields in the table from which the list is generated: ClientID and Name

Even using a machine in the same office as the server (less distance, same network) shows a delay, though not so much.

All the best,

JB, The Creative One

http://www.barenose.com

info@barenose.com

• 4. Re: related value lists
                Mike_Mitchell

What you're describing points to caching and latency. (Closer to server = faster speed). It smells like a network issue.

Is this value list relationally-based (i.e., contextual based on the current record)? Or is it "all records"? And again, is it zippy once you summon it once, or is it always slow?

• 5. Re: related value lists
                  keywords

Re: "I can physically use the mouse to scroll through, but not use type-ahead to get down the list"

This may be because you have the list set to sort by the ID field. If it is set to srot by the name field, or better still show only the name field, you can use type ahead to jump down the list. However there is a gotcha here: set this way the list will not show duplicates, so if you have more than one record with the same name only one instance will appear in the list. If you are going to use this approach you need to make sure the second field will givew unique values (a calc of first name + last name or similar).