1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2014 7:45 AM by hoosierdaddy

New to file maker.. Questions in general

hoosierdaddy

Hi folks.

Hey, before I download and try Filemaker, I'd like to ask some questions..

I come from a Tech background or did work in the same in the 90's and early 2k before becoming ill, but I'm better now and able to

work again part time from home. That said, I was a developer using VIsual Basic and SQL server mostly and also Access on Windows

plateform, but now I'd like to be able to use Filemaker or some good DB to design solutions for small business on Mac/ Window/ etc..

I'm wondering what version of Filemaker one needs to write an EXE or provide a solution to clients that don't have Filemaker installed?

Does Filemaker Go come with any version of Filemaker or do you need to buy it seperately to provide IOD / Iphone / Ipad solutions?

Does it matter if you use a Mac or Windows to do development if you provide for the other OS to your clients? For instance if I do the work on my Mac Book Pro, can I still provide solutions to a Windows 7 Client or Windows 8 Client?

What is the language used to script or to write a solution you'd provide to an end client in the form of an EXE or whatever it is that's used for the OS that's being used by the client?

Does Filemaker work with industrial DB server software such as SQL server, and Oracle or mySQL, etc,?

Thanks so much.

Tim

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 1. Re: New to file maker.. Questions in general
          wimdecorte

hoosierdaddy wrote:

I'm wondering what version of Filemaker one needs to write an EXE or provide a solution to clients that don't have Filemaker installed? 

Don't go there.  You can create an "exe" (aka Runtime) but it has limited functionality and does not support networking

• 2. Re: New to file maker.. Questions in general
            wimdecorte

hoosierdaddy wrote:

Does Filemaker Go come with any version of Filemaker or do you need to buy it seperately to provide IOD / Iphone / Ipad solutions?

You can download FM Go for free and use it for free with files on the device.  But you have to pay for connections to a hosted file (a file hosted on FileMaker Server)

• 3. Re: New to file maker.. Questions in general
              wimdecorte

hoosierdaddy wrote:

Does it matter if you use a Mac or Windows to do development if you provide for the other OS to your clients? For instance if I do the work on my Mac Book Pro, can I still provide solutions to a Windows 7 Client or Windows 8 Client? 

For the most part, no it does not matter.  But there are some subtle UI difference so you if your client is Windows you have to check your UI on Windows.  A virtual machine will do.

There are also some functional differnences (the mac version for instance has a Peform AppleScript  script step, but there is no equivalent Perform VBscript / Batch script on Windows)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: New to file maker.. Questions in general
                wimdecorte

hoosierdaddy wrote:

What is the language used to script or to write a solution you'd provide to an end client in the form of an EXE or whatever it is that's used for the OS that's being used by the client?

Proprietary.  It's the ScriptMaker built into FM. It is not a free-text scripting environment, you pick from the available script steps to create scripts.

And don't think about providing an EXE.  That's not what FM is about.  You need the FileMaker Pro client installed on the clients.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: New to file maker.. Questions in general
                  wimdecorte

hoosierdaddy wrote:

Does Filemaker work with industrial DB server software such as SQL server, and Oracle or mySQL, etc,?

Yes, it's called the ESS (External SQL Sources) feature.  But it is probably not what you have in mind.  ESS allows for easy connectivity but you should not build a FM solution that is only a front-end to data hosted on MS SQL, MySQL,...

• 6. Re: New to file maker.. Questions in general
                    hoosierdaddy

So the scripting is like a Macro functionality I take it?

So, there's no way to compile and application and give it to the client without the Filemaker software on the client too? Sorry, but I'm not clear about that part? :-) 

I mean, is there an enterprise version that allows one to develop a client app without the whole Filemaker software being intalled on the client ?

Thanks so much for answering the questions. I really appreciate it.

• 7. Re: New to file maker.. Questions in general
                      hoosierdaddy

I'm sorry, (I'm at my part time job waitong on customers too)

I just realized you said the Pro Client.

I take it this is not the complete Filemaker sofware package you install on the client, but instead just enough to allow them to run the application one develops?

Thanks so much.

Tim

• 8. Re: New to file maker.. Questions in general
                        hoosierdaddy

Yeah, I'd probably use an embeded Filemaker DB if possible for the phone device, etc,. I guess I never thought about it being used on the server when I asked, but I can see where that may need to be used. I'm asking all of this for a potential application I'd like to develop to sell online at the Apple Store. But, I also want to be able to develop for other clients, etc,. I'm considering starting a DB consulting business for small and medium business.. :-) Wish me luck!

Thanks

Tim

• 9. Re: New to file maker.. Questions in general
                          beverly

Check this forum for other discussions on "stand-alone" apps for sale on Apple Store. What you make with FileMaker Advanced as a "run-time" is not an app that you created, but a solution that the run-time engine (FM application) can display. The same solution can also be opened with FMP, FMPA, FMGo, and on FMServer.

But it's not an "app" (ergo, likely not to be sold on the Apple store...)

Beverly

• 10. Re: New to file maker.. Questions in general
                            hoosierdaddy

Thank you Beverly. I understand. I think Access has the same thing. It's the run time engine in the past I had to add to the users machine to get them to be able to use a DB that I helped develop.

Thanks so much.

Tim

• 11. Re: New to file maker.. Questions in general
                              jormond

Note that FM runtimes are bound via a key. A FileMaker file, if I remember correctly, will not run with just any set of Runtime Engine files. They have to be bound with the same binding key.

While I've seen it, and it's possible, there are a lot of hoops to jump through to get a FM database into the Apple Store. There are also some pretty severe limitations. For example, updating or releasing bug fixes is nearly impossible...unless you provide a way to get the old data out and into the new Runtime.

• 12. Re: New to file maker.. Questions in general
                                wimdecorte

hoosierdaddy wrote:

So the scripting is like a Macro functionality I take it?

Not in the sense that it lets you record your actions and have them recorded as code.  That is not there.

• 13. Re: New to file maker.. Questions in general
                                  wimdecorte

hoosierdaddy wrote:

I think Access has the same thing.

One note here.  It's been almost 15 years since I updated my FM vs. Access comparison.  But the one thing where Access falls flat in a big way is scalability.  You can design something in FM and it will scale up easily to a few hundred users provided that the basic design is OK.  You can not do that with Access without scaling up to MS SQL server which is a whole different skill set.

• 14. Re: New to file maker.. Questions in general
                                    planteg

Hi,

on the PC/Mac platform, there are two versions of the product: FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced. Both can be used to develop databases and "play" them. The difference is that the Advanced has a few more functions for the developers like a Script debugger, Data Viewer for example.

Those who wishe to work with a database on a PC/Mac need FM Pro - unless they develop, they don't need FM Pro Advanced - and need FM GO, which is free, on iPhone/iPad.

1 2 3 Previous Next