1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2015 7:06 AM by ibrahim_bittar

FM 13 Advanced Custom Menus not working since Yosemite update...

synergy46

I have posted this on another forum but am repeating it here with the hope that this forum will garner closer examination by FM 'bug catchers' (assuming this IS a bug).

If the forum moderators have a problem with double posting, feel free to remove it.

Yesterday I update my iMac to Yosemite.

Today FM acts weird around my custom menus... see link below:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6775417/FMMenu.mov

As part of the Yosemite upgrade, I upgraded Java so I thought that might be the problem. But, I rolled back the upgrade and the menus still act as above...

If you are running OSX Yosemite, are you have any problems like this?

Thanks

Ron

• 1. Re: FM 13 Advanced Custom Menus not working since Yosemite update...
          TomHays

What is the behavior when your database switches menu sets without using the FileMaker Pro Advanced Tools menu?

This would be when (1) a script changes menu sets or (2) when you switch to a layout that uses a different menu set by default.

Do you see the non-immediate updating of the menu set in those cases too?

-Tom

• 2. Re: FM 13 Advanced Custom Menus not working since Yosemite update...
            synergy46

Manaully switching to a different menu set causes the same situation.  Doing so in script does not make a difference.

It turns out, if I click on the desktop and then click back on the FM application window I get an immediate change.  Weird.

• 3. Re: FM 13 Advanced Custom Menus not working since Yosemite update...
              TomHays

This sounds like the window isn't getting the appropriate message to redraw window.

While this might be a bug in OS X or a compatibility issue with FileMaker running under Yosemite, it also could be related to a corrupted installation of either FileMaker or Yosemite.

You can try deleting the FileMaker preferences file and relaunching FileMaker.

I have been reading some reports indicating that there may be different Yosemite update downloads tailored to specific machines.  I'm not yet convinced that the App store provides different downloads to different machines, but it is worth exploring.  Did you download the Yosemite update directly on that iMac via the App store or did you transfer the installer that was downloaded on a different machine?

-Tom

• 4. Re: FM 13 Advanced Custom Menus not working since Yosemite update...
                synergy46

This sounds like the window isn't getting the appropriate message to redraw window.

While this might be a bug in OS X or a compatibility issue with FileMaker running under Yosemite, it also could be related to a corrupted installation of either FileMaker or Yosemite.

You can try deleting the FileMaker preferences file and relaunching FileMaker.

I have been reading some reports indicating that there may be different Yosemite update downloads tailored to specific machines.  I'm not yet convinced that the App store provides different downloads to different machines, but it is worth exploring.  Did you download the Yosemite update directly on that iMac via the App store or did you transfer the installer that was downloaded on a different machine?

Thanks for the reply tom.

The phenomena only occurs in FM.  I would think that other programs would cause something similar.  They don't (so far)

Delete Filemaker Preferences?  Are you referring to the .plist files?

I downloaded directly from the app store. 

My 'work around' is to:  change menus then click on the desktop then click back to the FM application window.  Then the menu appears.   Weird.

• 5. Re: FM 13 Advanced Custom Menus not working since Yosemite update...
                  steveromig

Synergy46 -

I played around with custom menus briefly and was unable to reproduce what you are seeing.  My custom menus worked as I would expect them to when using Yosemite.

I agree with TomHays that deleting your preferences file would be a good next step in trying to troubleshoot this.  Also, it might be a good test to see if you can reproduce this behavior in a sample file.  This would rule out an issue that is specific to your file.  If you can reproduce this in any file then it would indicate something about your FileMaker Pro Advanced environment that we need to look at closer.

Not understanding what you mean about downloading from the App Store.  Note that FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced are not available for download from the Mac App Store.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FM 13 Advanced Custom Menus not working since Yosemite update...
                    TomHays

synergy46 wrote:

Delete Filemaker Preferences?  Are you referring to the .plist files?

Yes, I am referring to the FileMaker .plist file.

This would be in the ~/Library/Preferences folder.  Note that the Library folder is hidden by default in recent versions of Mac OS X.

I think the file is named com.filemaker.client.advanced12.plist.

-Tom

• 7. Re: FM 13 Advanced Custom Menus not working since Yosemite update...
                      TomHays

steveromig wrote:

Not understanding what you mean about downloading from the App Store.  Note that FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced are not available for download from the Mac App Store.

Downloading from the App Store is referring to downloading Yosemite from the App Store.  In particular the question was whether Yosemite was downloaded using the same machine on which it was subsequently installed in case there is a difference in Yosemite installers for different machines.

-Tom

• 9. Re: FM 13 Advanced Custom Menus not working since Yosemite update...
                        synergy46

I did the following:

Deleted all the FM .plist files; no change

Downloaded and installed (again) the Heartbleed bug update;  no help

Updated / reinstalled plugins (ScriptMaster and 360Works);  no help.

Disabled plugins.  No help

I created a new database, added a custom menu.  From the Tools menu, switched to the new menu.  Same result.

I wrote a short script that changes menu sets.  I turned on debugger and ran it.  It worked as expected.  The

problem ONLY manifests in developer mode when I manually click TOOLS and then click a menu.  Weird.

Got any ideas on what causes this?  I am baffled.

Thanks

Ron

• 10. Re: FM 13 Advanced Custom Menus not working since Yosemite update...
                          synergy46

I think I got it.

When the Status Toolbar is NOT showing, I get the weird behavior.

When the Status Toolbar is ON, everything works as expected.

Is this a 'bug'? 

• 11. Re: FM 13 Advanced Custom Menus not working since Yosemite update...
                            steveromig

synergy46 wrote:

I think I got it.

When the Status Toolbar is NOT showing, I get the weird behavior.

When the Status Toolbar is ON, everything works as expected.

Is this a 'bug'? 

If this is a bug, it is one I (still) cannot reproduce.  Does not matter if my status toolbar is displayed or not, my custom menus switch as expected under Yosemite.

Can you provide a little more information about the iMac you are using?  I am using a Retina MacBook Pro for what it is worth.

I'll keep poking around but this is not a known issue at this point

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FM 13 Advanced Custom Menus not working since Yosemite update...
                              jormond

On another note...How custom are the Custom Menus? Are they very basic changes, or are there a lot of calculated Menu items?

• 13. Re: FM 13 Advanced Custom Menus not working since Yosemite update...
                                synergy46

Good point Josh.  I hadn't thought of calculations as a problem.

Yes, the menus change according to a selected lanauge and reflect a global variable according to the language.  For example, if a user selects "Spanish" The File menu says "Filo" (Or whatever the spanish is )

But, this begs the question "What does this have to do with displaying the Status Bar?  And, this menu has worked without problems since FM 2012???

FileMenu.png

• 14. Re: FM 13 Advanced Custom Menus not working since Yosemite update...
                                  synergy46

Hardware Information: ℹ️

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) (Verified)

iMac - model: iMac13,2

1 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 CPU: 4-core

16 GB RAM Upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

BANK 0/DIMM1

empty empty empty empty

BANK 1/DIMM1

empty empty empty empty

Bluetooth: Good - Handoff/Airdrop2 supported

Wireless:  en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Video Information: ℹ️

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX - VRAM: 2048 MB

iMac 1600 x 900

System Software: ℹ️

OS X 10.10 (14A389) - Uptime: 4:43:33

Disk Information: ℹ️

APPLE HDD ST3000DM001 disk0 : (3 TB)

S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted>  [Recovery]: 650 MB

Macintosh HD (disk2) /  [Startup]: 3 TB (3 TB free)

Core Storage: disk1s2 120.99 GB Online

Core Storage: disk0s2 3 TB Online

APPLE SSD SM128E disk1 : (121.33 GB)

S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified

EFI (disk1s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Boot OS X (disk1s3) <not mounted> : 134 MB

Macintosh HD (disk2) /  [Startup]: 3 TB (3 TB free)

Core Storage: disk1s2 120.99 GB Online

Core Storage: disk0s2 3 TB Online

1 2 Previous Next