8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2014 4:17 PM by taylorsharpe

Email connection to Gmail- Scipting issues with Error -1

jodey@pestking

Hey I have File Maker connected to an SMTP for gmail accounts. I have verified that it is connected.

However my button on client pages isnt connecting to emails. It comes up with an error message -1.

Does anyone know what this means?

The scripting is linked to preeform email however it just isnt working.

Is there any ideas why this is the case?

Thanks Jodey

• 1. Re: Email connection to Gmail- Scipting issues with Error -1
          taylorsharpe

First, I am going to assume you are sending using FileMaker's Send Mail script step.  If so, please let us know what you have in the SMTP options (well, except for the password).  That will help us trouble shoot if you have it set up correctly. 

FYI, there are some nice email plugins for FileMaker that work more reliably and faster than FileMaker's script step, and they typically have enhanced features like multiple attachments and HTML support. 

Anyway, get back with us and we'll try and help you out. 

Untitled-1.jpg

• 2. Re: Email connection to Gmail- Scipting issues with Error -1
            DavidJondreau

There potentially dozens of reasons why your application isn't functioning as expected. Unfortunately, your question is too vague and general to attempt to offer advice. Buttons don't send e-mails. Script steps do. How did you "verify it was connected" and what does that even mean? What script step reports the -1 "Unknown error" ? What are the exact steps of the script.

• 3. Re: Email connection to Gmail- Scipting issues with Error -1
              jodey@pestking

These were the SMTP options I used in Filemaker. I sent a test email to my account through this and it worked. Confirming the details are correct.

I am a novice at this so any help would be apreciated.

On other pages in filemaker when I clicked on the email button (email script) the Error -1 comes up.

The little red button.

When I go back into Layout mode and double click on the red email icon it comes up with >perform Script>Freeform email.

Is there a step in this process I have missed?

If I need a plugin or something else installed to access gmails please let me know.

Thanks for the help sorry if I am a little vague as I am a beginner.

• 4. Re: Email connection to Gmail- Scipting issues with Error -1
                taylorsharpe

For some reason I am not able to see the image you posted.  Is it working for other people?  If not, you might try reposting using JPG. 

• 5. Re: Email connection to Gmail- Scipting issues with Error -1
                  jodey@pestking

These were the SMTP options I used in Filemaker. I sent a test email to my account through this and it worked. Confirming the details are correct.

I am a novice at this so any help would be apreciated.

SMTP.jpg

On other pages in filemaker when I clicked on the email button (email script) the Error -1 comes up.

The little red button.

Error.jpg

When I go back into Layout mode and double click on the red email icon it comes up with >perform Script>Freeform email.

Scripting.jpg

Is there a step in this process I have missed?

If I need a plugin or something else installed to access gmails please let me know.

Thanks for the help sorry if I am a little vague as I am a beginner.

• 6. Re: Email connection to Gmail- Scipting issues with Error -1
                    taylorsharpe

The issue seems to be more about the "Unknown Error: -1" than your SMTP settings.  Have you tried it using another computer to see if it is getting the same error?  Just trying to eliminate whether it is a problem with the FileMaker installation on your particular machine or not. 

• 7. Re: Email connection to Gmail- Scipting issues with Error -1
                      jodey@pestking

I have one computer in the office that works. It has outlook on that computer with a gmail account linked.

Could that be the reason for it working? Is it as simple as setting up outlook?

Or did the technician fail to set the scripting up on the other computers?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the help

• 8. Re: Email connection to Gmail- Scipting issues with Error -1
                        taylorsharpe

If you send the emails by Email Client instead of SMTP Server directly, then, yes, you need to setup Outlook. 

One possible error is that you are tryign to send via the Email client and you have not setup Outlook.  So when the OS gets the SENDMAIL call, then it might not know what to do.  If this is what is the error, then setup Outlook or change it to send by SMTP Server directly. 

Since you showed me the SMTP setup, I had assumed you were not using the email client.  But I may have assumed incorrectly. 

The one big benefit of sending by Email client is that you get to see the email and make edits before sending it.  That is sometimes desireable.