2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2014 8:23 AM by planteg

Value List: different result depending on control style

planteg

Hi all,

I am creating my first database in FM, prototypes for the time being. In a layout I have three fields whose value is selected from a Value List. All these Value Lists are configured that way:

Value List.jpg

That is first column is the value to set the field to and the second column is the value to display. Then I expect that value from the second column to show up in the field. Well, this is what I get... sometimes . If Control Style is set to Pop-up menu, that's Ok, but if it's set to Drop-down list, I get the value from column displayed. Here is an example:

Value list example.jpg

_fk_Client is a drop-down, _fk_Manufact and _fk_Modele are pop-up.

I use FM Pro 13.0v3 on Windows 7. I checked on FM Go 13.0.5, same result.

So, is this a bug, a feature or is the problem on the chair ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Value List: different result depending on control style
          erolst

A popup “masks” the actual value by looking up the associated value from the second field of the value list. A dropdown cannot do that, because (other than a dropdown) it may have to allow entry into the field; thus, it shows the actual field value. So this is a consequence of the control type.

In brief: if you can, use a popup; if you need to have the type-ahead feature of a dropdown (which I understand doesn't really work with popup in Windows), use a mini-dropdown for the selection, an adjacent popup for the display and a button/script on the popup to go to (and open) the dropdown.

Or use a popover that presents you with a selector portal – much more flexible than a mere value list.

• 2. Re: Value List: different result depending on control style
            planteg

erolst,

type ahead is interesting. Tried it with pop-menu, it does-not work. The suggestion to use a popover is interesting.

In brief: if you can, use a popup; if you need to have the type-ahead feature of a dropdown (which I understand doesn't really work with popup in Windows), use a mini-dropdown for the selection, an adjacent popup for the display and a button/script on the popup to go to (and open) the dropdown.

Sorry, I don't understand that solution.

Thanks