1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2015 11:11 PM by user19752

FM13 Server Console sudden reboot each morning

fkoger

I open my FileMaker 13 Server Console that is based on windows every morning. I have not had any issues opening the Console until October 16th. Now every morning it will not open. I should include, it does not affect WebDirect hosted databases or remotely conncecting to the server from FileMaker Pro on my desktop, that all works normally. Each morning now I get an error message that reads problem loading page, I then have to request my IT dept reboot the server every morning. This did not happen in the past but has become a recent issue. Of course when the server is rebooting it reopens all databases on the server and I have to go in and close databases that were not open prior to the reboot. For the rest of the day everything works fine and then the next morning I have to repeat the reboot process. Has anyone else had this issue or have any suggestions to eliminate it? Was there an update around Oct 16 that could have created this ongoing issue?

Thanks.

Faith

• 1. Re: FM13 Server Console sudden reboot each morning
          mikebeargie

Can you check to see if your server has automatic java updates enabled? Java updates can still screw with sections of FMS, and it's best practice to leave them disabled and let FMS install it's required java version.

Also, FMS13.0v4 is the latest version, you should make sure you have the latest update installed.

rebooting the server with files open is dangerous and can cause corruption in your files. You (or your IT department) needs to familiarize themselves with the fmsadmin command line so you can properly close and restart the server. Rebooting the OS may not be necessary, something like "fmsadmin reboot adminserver" might even correct all of your issues.

For any other help, please provide your version info, OS and server specifications.

• 2. Re: FM13 Server Console sudden reboot each morning
            wimdecorte

fkoger wrote:

ach morning now I get an error message that reads problem loading page, I then have to request my IT dept reboot the server every morning.

That is not needed, all connections to the file are ok so it is just the admin part of FMS that is misbehaving.  This command will rectify it:

fmsadmin restart adminserver

To find the underlying case, check the event logs for any clues

• 3. Re: FM13 Server Console sudden reboot each morning
              fkoger

Thanks for your quick responses.  From my IT Dept, "No option to disable java updates that I can find.  We are on 13.0.4.440,  I will use fmsadmin next time there is a problem."  Which I believe will be Monday morning, so we'll try this option. 

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Faith

• 4. Re: FM13 Server Console sudden reboot each morning
                mikebeargie

Still have not heard what OS this is, so I couldn’t tell you where exactly, but I kind of wonder about your IT people/person not knowing where to disable automatic java updates. That’s like IT 101 stuff and can easily be googled if they don’t know.

There is no reason to wait to perform the restart adminserver command, it’s proactive and not reactive at this point.

• 5. Re: FM13 Server Console sudden reboot each morning
                  fkoger

I'm not that technical so when I ask for the OS, here is the IT's response:  "Closest thing I can find is they removed the option to update either it does it automatically or doesn't at all.  With servers I usually don't mess with stuff unless there is a problem."    I know they do go out and Google answers so I guess I'll see if the issue is resolved on Monday. 

Thanks.

Faith

• 6. Re: FM13 Server Console sudden reboot each morning
                    wimdecorte

fkoger wrote:

"...With servers I usually don't mess with stuff unless there is a problem."   

Right principle, wrong execution.

That's a weird thing to say from an IT guy.  Typically servers get configured right off the bat to NEVER auto-install any updates (OS or otherwise) precisely because servers are mission-critical and you want to have full control over what happens to them.

So java auto-updates should have been turned off even long before FMS was installed...

• 7. Re: FM13 Server Console sudden reboot each morning
                      fkoger

Once again this morning the console server will not open but eveything else is OK.  My IT dept responded :

Ran
                      fmsadmin restart adminserver

But this did not fix the issue.   Any other suggestions today? 

Thanks.
                      Faith

• 8. Re: FM13 Server Console sudden reboot each morning
                        wimdecorte

At this point the logs are your best friend, as I've mentioned in my earlier post.  Check the logs for any clues to issues.  FMS keeps its own log in its logs folder but they also get written to the Windows Application event log, so there you can see FMS messages together with the other things that are going on on the server.

• 9. Re: FM13 Server Console sudden reboot each morning
                          fkoger

I still had not had luck with the Console, here are the symptoms:

FM Server is running fine.

Admin Console does not work from browsers but can be accessed by directly logging into the server.

This command does not work:  fmsadmin restart adminserver but rebooting the entire server does work but only for one day. 

Event logs don't show anything out of the ordinary, there is a backup that runs at 11 pm but nothing fails when that script runs. 

Any new suggestions?

• 10. Re: FM13 Server Console sudden reboot each morning
                            wimdecorte

fkoger wrote:

Admin Console does not work from browsers but can be accessed by directly logging into the server.

That points to a problem with the machine itself, not with FMS.  It also explains why the "fmsadmin restart adminserver" has no effect.  The adminserver runs just ifne since you can open the console on the machine itself.

Since that works but opening the console from other machines does not: points to something in the OS or on the machine that gets cleared on reboot.

Make sure that the firewall is configured properly, that nothing updates the firewall rules "automatically", no security software that decides to close ports,...

• 11. Re: FM13 Server Console sudden reboot each morning
                              mikebeargie

You never specified the OS, are you sure the OS you are using is compatible with FMS?

The update for FMS13.0v5 has been released, maybe installing the update will correct the underlying issue.

This might indicate that something in your network is failing every morning. Are you accessing your server via an IP address or DNS name? Is it a WAN or LAN IP? Does the server have DHCP enabled for some bizarre reason? Are ports 16000/16001/80/5003 being routed correctly to the server?

• 12. Re: FM13 Server Console sudden reboot each morning
                                fkoger

Response from my IT dept:  

>You never specified the OS, are you sure the OS you are using is compatible

Windows Server 2012 - This is the one we had to reinstall to get it on an older operating system to work correctly

> This might indicate that something in your network is failing every morning. Are you accessing your server via an IP address or DNS name? Is it a WAN or LAN IP? Does the server have DHCP enabled for some bizarre reason? Are ports 16000/16001/80/5003 being routed correctly to the server?

No other reports of network problems that I've heard about

Server is accessed via DNS name and it has always resolved to the IP address and no other complaints about DNS

Static LAN IP -  this server is only used inside our network so no firewall is between it and the people using it at all.

No routing is being used for ports all computers talk directly to the Internet LAN IP address

The Windows Firewall is disabled completely.

Observation:

1. 1. It works via localhost on the server
                                2. 2. It does not work via fqdn on the server console

It may be something in the Web Server but we don't run any other Windows Web Servers and too many times any changes made on the server are blamed when there is a problem. This is why we don't make any changes to servers like this without explicit instructions from the vendor.

Eban, another IT rep, did some research and found some errors in a log that lead back to

Connection_Abandoned_By_ReqQueue A worker process from the application pool has quit unexpectedly or orphaned a pending request by closing its handle

• 13. Re: FM13 Server Console sudden reboot each morning
                                  fkoger

Any suggestions to my last new post and the errors we are getting?  My IT department wanted me to follow up since this is still an issue. 

Thanks.
                                  Faith

• 14. Re: FM13 Server Console sudden reboot each morning
                                    user19752

Java update had released on Oct 14. Have you checked the version what you use ?

FMS uses Tomcat for admin console, it is "Web Server" run on java.

Does it work via ip address on the server ? Did you use https on server console ?

1 2 Previous Next