3 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2015 2:20 PM by briangirling

External File Refresh on FM Go from Dropbox

lkeyes

Just wondered if anyone had a similar experience with Dropbox.

I have a FM file stored on Dropbox. I open this on my iPad (v.1) via the Dropbox app

1. Go to Dropbox

2. Tap (select) the Filemaker file within Dropbox. (Dropbox says it can't open this file)

3. Click on the "download" icon within DB... and it comes up and says "Open With"

4. Click on FileMaker Go.

Since this is an iPad 1, I'm running Go_12.08 and iOS 5.1.1 .

I can open my file just fine. Problem is, the next time I open it using the same procedure....downloading from DropBox, it doesn't refresh. It seems to be the same file that was downloaded previously. Any changes that I made on the DropBox version of the file using FMPA, including adding new records, or modifying the layout....are not shown when I try downloading and open it again.

It certainly appears to be downloading again because it will create a duplicate filename with a 1 appended.. i.e. if I have a file nameed Flashcards.fmp12, a subsequent download will create a new file Flashcards1.fmp12.

Somehow, however it seems to be accessing a version stuck in the cache on the iPad.

If I delete the file in Go's file browser, and then download again from DropBox ..... it *still* brings up the old version. Weird.

As a workaround...I can eMail myself the file as an attachement and that seems to work reliably..... but I'd sure like to be able to use the Dropbox version.

Any ideas?

---- Larry

• 1. Re: External File Refresh on FM Go from Dropbox
          briangirling

Hi Larry,

I know that a lot of time has passed since your post but I also have the same problem using DropBox and GO.  In my case I am using OS8 and FM GO 13x on my iPad Mini.

Have you found a way to resolve the issue?  I have been going into Home on the iPad and manually deleting the previous file from both 'Recent' and 'Device' and this method is hit and miss.  There must be a way to clear the cache.

Another bug (as in it bugs me) is that precious iPad memory is taken up by all of these old files from previous downloads.  Is there any way to delete them other than manually?

Brian Girling

• 2. Re: External File Refresh on FM Go from Dropbox
            mikebeargie

I've found it's the dropbox app itself caching the copy, not filemaker go. We had a similar issue and the only users with issues were the ones that had the dropbox app installed. Users that were given the dropbox share link via email never had issues.

Unfortunately, there is no setting for the dropbox app to clear it's own cache on a regular basis AFAIK, we've only solved persistent issues by deleting and readding the dropbox app.

In FileMaker Go, if you want to delete files there IS a way to do it, basically by exporting a blank file (found set of zero records) of the same name to the get(documentspath) location. More details here:

Leo Di Croce - Delete a FileMaker Go File

• 3. Re: External File Refresh on FM Go from Dropbox
              briangirling

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the information and Leo's link.  I'll play with this awhile and see if it does what I want it to do.

Brian