6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2014 3:21 PM by bigtom

Which FileMaker version to distribute ?

ail5urfer

I have to develop a FileMaker Solution for a new customer.

He has 2 PCs on the same Wifi network and I would like to know what is the best solution between :

- Buy a FM Pro Advanced license and distribute the product using Runtime Maker to my client

- Or buy 2 FM Pro licences, one for me and one for my client

I can’t manage to decide which solution would be the best, for me and for my customer.

Can someone tell me about the Pros and Cons of each solution ?

Ex: can a runtime solution be ran on the 2 PCs simultaneously ? (It shouldn’t occur, but…)

Thanks !

• 1. Re: Which FileMaker version to distribute ?
          Mike_Mitchell

No, you can't run a runtime on two PCs simultaneously. Runtimes are single-user only.

If you intend to do any significant amount of FileMaker devleopment, I would advise you to go ahead with purchasing Advanced. In the long run, you will thank yourself for having the additional tools available.

I don't see how purchasing two FM Pro licenses helps in this situation, anyway. If you need one, and your client has two PCs, then don't you need 3 licenses? If you're intending to use a runtime, then you don't need a license at all (although I wouldn't advise it; if he has two PCs, then he intends to use a single databse, and sharing on a network share comes with a host of problems). OTOH, if you're intending to use a plain vanilla FM database, then both clients need a license.

HTH

Mike

BTW - I would suggest you look into using perhaps a hosting service if your client is intending to share the database between users. Peer-to-peer sharing is possible, but carries a world of risks, including data corruption, poor backup practices, security, etc.

• 2. Re: Which FileMaker version to distribute ?
            ail5urfer

Thank you Mike !

Concerning the licences for my client, as he "should not" share the database, but occasionnaly open it on a PC or on the other one, a single license is enough (as it is possible to install it on 2 PCs according to the licence agreement, right ?). 

• 3. Re: Which FileMaker version to distribute ?
              Mike_Mitchell

I'm not a lawyer, but this is what my copy of the license agreement says:

"(a) Application. You may install and use only one copy of the Application on a single computer at a time. Even though both Windows and Macintosh versions of the Application may be provided in multiple languages, you are only licensed to use one version of the Application on one platform (i.e., the Windows or Macintosh version) in one language at a time, except as provided in Section 1(d)."

You can check with FMI to be sure, but the phrase "install and use", to me, means you'd have to uninstall from one computer and install on the other to use it as you suggest.

• 4. Re: Which FileMaker version to distribute ?
                ail5urfer

I saw this in fact (but ok, that's not the official licence...) :

http://store.apple.com/us/question/answers/readonly/if-i-purchase-a-license-will-it-allow-me-to-use-filemaker-pro-on-my-laptop-and-my-desktop-alternately/Q7YHPFYDYYATAYPT4

Also, paragraph (b) says "Additionally, the primary user of the computer on which the Software is installed may make a second copy for his or her exclusive use on either a home or portable computer." : does "home" means "not for job tasks" ?

So I will check directly with somebody at FMI !

Thanks !

• 5. Re: Which FileMaker version to distribute ?
                  Mike_Mitchell

“Home” does mean “not for job tasks”. There’s a home use program that allows you to do this (use a company’s license for your personal computer).

And you’re right; I forgot about the desktop / laptop exception. If that’s the case here, then your client can use the same license on both machines.

But check with FMI. Again, I’m not an attorney and I don’t represent FMI. So the advice is worth what you paid for it.   

• 6. Re: Which FileMaker version to distribute ?
                    bigtom

So far as I know you can use the same license key one two machines but you can only use one at a time to access the same database at one time. If you try to connect two machines with the same key the host/server will not let the second machine connect. Gives a licensing error. Think of this as two per user and user is a physical person not the machine. You may also consider the viability of using FMGo for you clients additional data entry if the license cost is an issue.