7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2014 7:29 AM by mikebeargie

Searching an entire database...help

c0nsilience

Hello all,

This may seem like a rather neophyte question, but I am running into a problem and I don't know if there is an adequate workaround.

I've got a database that has 10 different layouts. Each layout is based on a different table and there aren't any fields that overlap across the layouts.

How can I perform a find/search of the entire database and show the results? Would it be easiest to create a new layout for this purpose or a report, or is it even possible?

I don't want to build a new layout that has hundreds of fields from all of these tables.

Please help!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Searching an entire database...help
          erolst

You will have to script the process, Search this database – i.e. the forum – for “Virtual List”.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Searching an entire database...help
            pmconaway

Why, would you need to do this? Can you tell us more about your solution and why searching every field in every table is neccessary? I usually direct the users to the appropriate layout and start a search from there. If a client wants to search for customers they do that on a customer based layout and I include that in the layout design. If they want to search for involves it is on an involves based layout. I haven't found a reason why someone would need to search for "Anchor" access all fields in a solution. That my client would want a list of all records no matter where in the database "Anchor" is stored.

• 3. Re: Searching an entire database...help
              c0nsilience

The solution is 20 databases concatenated down to a single FM 13 db.  There are multiple layouts due to the "categories" needing different fields....I created a tab control, with each category as the tab name.  I've showed them how to use quickfind when they are on a specific tab and how to do a Find, period.

They want to be able to search the entire database for certain keywords....this has been difficult due to each layout having completely different fields.

Should I just tell them this isn't possible?

• 4. Re: Searching an entire database...help
                c0nsilience

Thanks erolst....I'm wrapping my mind around the Virtual List as I type.  Interesting!

• 5. Re: Searching an entire database...help
                  erolst

c0nsilience wrote:

The solution is 20 databases concatenated down to a single FM 13 db.  There are multiple layouts due to the "categories" needing different fields....I created a tab control, with each category as the tab name.  I've showed them how to use quickfind when they are on a specific tab and how to do a Find, period.

This is more information than you provided at the beginning, but it's still not really helpful. What are you managing, and in which “categories”?

Maybe your setup could be simplified, which in turn would simplify everything else in its wake.

And it's correct what pmconaway said – certain searches only make sense in a certain context.

• 6. Re: Searching an entire database...help
                    PalmDBS

It sounds like you'd benefit from an entity-attribute system.  One in which all values are actually held in one table. That table would have columns that include the Label (whatever field name you are using in your current tables), a field value, and a common record ID.  In this scenario, you could search for a particular keyword across all category "fields", as they are all in the same table, linked by a common parent record ID.

• 7. Re: Searching an entire database...help
                      mikebeargie

Save yourself a few hours and plenty of headaches and buy a copy of this:

http://www.seedcode.com/fm-search-results/

Well worth it's price a few times over.