1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2014 2:42 PM by alquimby

Returning user baffled by remote FMP13 blowing up when adding fields

kmyers@skwoosh.com

Have always loved FMP & advocated to get it for my new position, but am using it remotely for first time. Problem: when adding a field in browse mode by using the plus sign and trying to rename field (from field 52) (remember, I'm remote), it blows up my layout and when I get back in, my records are still there, according to FMP, but my layout no longer shows any fields, therefore doesn't show the records on screen. I have rebuilt my database several times now, but I'm looking for suggestions to overcome this issue once and for all. I hope I've stated this clearly enough for someone to understand!

• 1. Re: Returning user baffled by remote FMP13 blowing up when adding fields
          keywords

I assume you are talking about the feature that allows fields to be added in table view. As soon as you create the field its name is highlighted so that you can name it whatever you want. If you fail to do this at the time you can also rename any field by simply double clicking on the field name.

I am not sure what you mean by "it blows up my layout and when I get back in, my records are still there, according to FMP, but my layout no longer shows any fields". Can you elaborate? Or post screenshots?

• 2. Re: Returning user baffled by remote FMP13 blowing up when adding fields
            jlamprecht

Reiterating what keywords said, we need some more information.

Going off what you have posted, perhaps you switched to Form or List view and those two do not have any fields present? Did you change layout context?

• 3. Re: Returning user baffled by remote FMP13 blowing up when adding fields
              kmyers@skwoosh.com

Sorry, that explanation wasn't clear: when I added the field by clicking the plus sign (yes, I believe that is a table view in the browse mode, not the layout mode, well, it gives a not responding message (remote), then after cycling for a few seconds, it kicks me out of the DB. When I get back in, same browse mode, the header bar shows that I still have 1917 records, but it doesn't list anything in the table view, the fields layout across the page is gone, so no records show in the layout. When I go to manage layouts, the entire layout seems to be GONE, so I keep needing to rebuild a layout from another less complete layout from previously. After it blew up yesterday, I'm going to make duplicates of all layouts from now on, believe me! But why does anyone think it's blowing me out of there int he first place? If I'm not meant to add fields in browse mode, whyy does it work sometimes and not others?

• 4. Re: Returning user baffled by remote FMP13 blowing up when adding fields
                kmyers@skwoosh.com

I hope you can see the other explanation I tried to give and I thank you too for attempting to assist, as this is a frustrating issue!

• 5. Re: Returning user baffled by remote FMP13 blowing up when adding fields
                  jlamprecht

Thanks for the additional information.

You say you are accessing the database remotely. Do you have a backup routine for the hosted file in place? Basically, I would like to know exactly when this started. You say right when you started accessing it remotely, but would like to know time frame.

It could be the database is corrupted. You may want to run Recover or revert to an earlier backup if possible. Before doing that, let's investigate a bit more.

In addition, what OS are you using to run FileMaker?

Finally, if you can get screenshots as you go through the process, that would be great help in diagnosis as well.

• 6. Re: Returning user baffled by remote FMP13 blowing up when adding fields
                    kmyers@skwoosh.com

You say you are accessing the database remotely. Do you have a backup routine for the hosted file in place? Basically, I would like to know exactly when this started. You say right when you started accessing it remotely, but would like to know time frame.

Yes, we have a backup routine of about every other night.  When this happens, it changes the current version for the host as well, because she looks when I call almost in tears. This has been happening since we bagan using the FMP13 a couple months ago (Aug 26 or so). It doesn't happen each time, but selectively, it seems.

It could be the database is corrupted. You may want to run Recover or revert to an earlier backup if possible. Before doing that, let's investigate a bit more.

I think my host tried recover yesterday, but got he same version back, so maybe we didn't go back to early enough version to recover?

In addition, what OS are you using to run FileMaker?

I'm on Windows 8.1 and I believe my host is Windows 7.

Finally, if you can get screenshots as you go through the process, that would be great help in diagnosis as well.

Okay, it's not going on now, already happened, but I'll see what I can do about screenshots in future. Can you remind me of how to screenshot (I'm coning back from MAC and don't recall windows screenshot).

• 7. Re: Returning user baffled by remote FMP13 blowing up when adding fields
                      jlamprecht

I am sorry for your frustration. It is really awful when a problem is happening and you cannot find a solution.

Are you running FileMaker Server 13 or Server 12?

Which version of Windows 7?

For screenshots on Windows, I like to use the Snipping Tool. Just a preference.

Also, have you tried creating the fields in the Database Manager? Does anything odd happen when you do so there?

• 8. Re: Returning user baffled by remote FMP13 blowing up when adding fields
                        kmyers@skwoosh.com

I appreciate your kind help!

Are you running FileMaker Server 13 or Server 12? I don't think we're on a server version at all, but I'm checking.. My host said it doesn't go through the company server, but accesses directly from her PC. Does that help?

Which version of Windows 7? Checking.

For screenshots on Windows, I like to use the Snipping Tool. Just a preference. Sorry, now I feel dumber, because I don't know what a snipping tool is.

Also, have you tried creating the fields in the Database Manager? Does anything odd happen when you do so there? And feeling more dumb, can't recall ever seeing any Database Manager either.

• 9. Re: Returning user baffled by remote FMP13 blowing up when adding fields
                          kmyers@skwoosh.com

HOST has Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1. We did not purchase Filemaker Server 13.  We have FileMaker Pro 13.

• 10. Re: Returning user baffled by remote FMP13 blowing up when adding fields
                            jlamprecht

So, you have FileMaker Pro on Windows 7 that is set up for sharing. You can only have a max of 5 people accessing that database at one time through this method. Just some information in case you are exceeding that limit.

In addition, you may want to check your backup routine and ensure that it is backing up the FileMaker file when it is closed. If it is open and sharing, the backup can cause a few issues. FileMaker Server has the benefit of having its own backup schedules to handle safe and clean backups, while system backups can cause gray hair.

On Windows, perform a search for Snipping Tool. It is just an application.

The Database Manager gives you access to your tables and fields. Do you have full access to the file?

In addition, you must make sure that FileMaker Pro is up and running with the file to share it. It could be that the hosted file is being closed while you are working without commiting any of your work. The file is closed and you as a client are kicked out.

• 11. Re: Returning user baffled by remote FMP13 blowing up when adding fields
                              kmyers@skwoosh.com

So, you have FileMaker Pro on Windows 7 that is set up for sharing. You can only have a max of 5 people accessing that database at one time through this method. Just some information in case you are exceeding that limit.

Only the host and I share it, and she doesn't do anything in the DB, just views it, and reboots as necessary, as it was purchased for my use, but is proprietary company info, which is why she's the host.

In addition, you may want to check your backup routine and ensure that it is backing up the FileMaker file when it is closed. If it is open and sharing, the backup can cause a few issues. FileMaker Server has the benefit of having its own backup schedules to handle safe and clean backups, while system backups can cause gray hair.

We both close out of FMP at end of day, so overnight backups should be fine, I think.

On Windows, perform a search for Snipping Tool. It is just an application.

I'll search that!

The Database Manager gives you access to your tables and fields. Do you have full access to the file?

Yes, I've been granted full access as I understand it. Just never saw anything called database manager, so I wasn't sure what it meant.

In addition, you must make sure that FileMaker Pro is up and running with the file to share it. It could be that the hosted file is being closed while you are working without commiting any of your work. The file is closed and you as a client are kicked out.

Yes, host's version is always up and running before I attempt to get in, but at times host is away from office, if it goes down on her end, I'm outta luck and as you say, get kicked out as client, which has happened also! That's not what's happening in this case.

• 12. Re: Returning user baffled by remote FMP13 blowing up when adding fields
                                jlamprecht

I should realize I only call it Database Manager. It is Manage Database under File -> Manage -> Database...

For now, I would do any field creation/modification in there as opposed to Table View to see if the issue continues despite the different approach.

When you are able to get screenshots, I can provide some more insight.

• 13. Re: Returning user baffled by remote FMP13 blowing up when adding fields
                                  kmyers@skwoosh.com

snipped image: what screen looks like after it blows up...notice no layout name anymore, no records/fields showing anymore. When you go into layout "bar", layout is missing.snipped FMP13 screen.PNG:

• 14. Re: Returning user baffled by remote FMP13 blowing up when adding fields
                                    jlamprecht

Very odd stuff. Yes, I see that there is no Layout Name listed there. It has also defaulted to Form View. Have you tried entering Layout Mode during this? What happens when you do so?

1 2 Previous Next