5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2014 5:38 PM by jml

Runtime Recovery

jml

Well, I learn something new every day…

When you launch a FileMaker runtime application on a Mac using option-command down-arrow, the runtime presents a dialog asking to select the Damage File. It performs a recovery on the selected file and then opens it. It also creates a filename OLD.fmpur in the process.

It's undoubtedly noted somewhere in the documentaiton but it sure surprised me.

• 1. Re: Runtime Recovery
          gdurniak

"Help" says just Command-Option

http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/fmpa_tools.24.19.html

greg

> When you launch a FileMaker runtime application on a Mac using option-command down-arrow

• 2. Re: Runtime Recovery
            jml

Yes, I guess it's just a poor choice of option key combination on FMI's part.  This conflicts with Apple's Finder UI. Option-command double click or down-arrow generally opens a file and closes the associated folder.

• 3. Re: Runtime Recovery
              Malcolm

When you launch a FileMaker runtime application on a Mac using

option-command down-arrow,

In the Finder:

1. Command down-arrow opens the object.

2. opening an object with the option key down closes the containing folder

Then FileMaker kicks in and starts to use the modifier keys.

malcolm

• 4. Re: Runtime Recovery
                erolst

jml wrote:

Yes, I guess it's just a poor choice of option key combination on FMI's part.  This conflicts with Apple's Finder UI. Option-command double click or down-arrow generally opens a file and closes the associated folder.

Sadly (some might say), there is a limited supply of modifier keys on your standard keyboard, and consequently of their combinations.

And this particular one may very well precede the Finder combos – remember that FileMaker is older than System 7, where, IIRC, these folder navigation/manipulation shortcuts where introduced.

• 5. Re: Runtime Recovery
                  jml

In that case, they've had plenty of time to change it.