6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2014 8:36 PM by keywords

Regarding search in portal line item dropdown list

samarthmkt

is there any solution for intellegent search of any contents in dropdown list of line items of portal table. At present it only searches by first alphabetic in dropdown list. Actually i required by putting any word contents (Alphabetic or Numeric) shows only those contents from whole dropdown list. Thanks

• 1. Re: Regarding search in portal line item dropdown list
          keywords

Your screenshot shows that you are using the "Include arrow to show and hide list". Try unchecking this and see if that helps. With that option checked, you don't get the list to pop open at all if you simply click inside the field, and you need the list te be open in order to have it keyboard responsive.

Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 9.37.51 am.png

• 2. Re: Regarding search in portal line item dropdown list
            samarthmkt

Thanks Keywords

Though when i press any alphabetic key its shows whole list which starts from that alphabet its ok but my question is if i press any alphabet key it may show all list which may contain that alphabet key. Intelligent search can make search list of that particular content which starts from or may ends with or in between .

Thanks

• 3. Re: Regarding search in portal line item dropdown list
              keywords

You just need to understand and work with the behaviour, which in my experience is:

1.     When you type a key, say A, the cursor immediately jumps to the first record beginning with A

2.     When you type the second letter (quickly enough that it keeps to the same search), say L, it jumps to the first Al

3.     Type U and it now jumps to the first Alu … and so on

Obviously on your list you would alost have to type the whole entry before it gets to a point of discrimination. However, a trick I often use is, if I know the entry I want to select is near the bottom of a group of similar records (Aluminium Foil 620mm, say) a quicker way to get to that point in the list is to type something I know will jump to an entry just past the one I want (eg. An if I know that the next group is anodised aluminium, say). Those two keystrokes will jump me to just past the entry and I can see the one I want, whiuch I can then manually select either by mouse click or arrow and return key.

• 4. Re: Regarding search in portal line item dropdown list
                samarthmkt

Thanks Keyword

In your above second point (When you type the second letter (quickly enough that it keeps to the same search), say L, it jumps to the first Al)  it directly jump to L which i does not want. If want to search by 620 (same search) no search appears.

• 5. Re: Regarding search in portal line item dropdown list
                  samarthmkt

In above post i find that in portal table line item dropdown list its only search by first contents in that line item. Suppose there is word contents in line item say packing tape 48 x 65 mtr If i go for search by putting contents p its search and display all the list which starts by p alphabet its ok. But if i search by putting contents tape of the same line item it dosent show or display. My query is that if i put any word contents it display only whole list where this word contents are present any where in the line item .

Thanks

• 6. Re: Regarding search in portal line item dropdown list
                    keywords

What you are seeing is standard behaviour for value lists—they are not searchable, but only keyboard responsive; therefore your keystrokes only address the first letter of list entries followed by second and subsequent as you continue to type.

It is possible to construct a search facility such as you are describing, but you need to create this with a calculated field to parse the list entries into individual words and a relationship to search that field, with a narrowing range of records showing in a portal.