7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2014 12:13 PM by lobue

Seeking advice re: a design to evaluate award nominees...

lobue

In FMP13 I have created a single table of about 40 nominees for awards. Each nominee is eligible for one of four awards -- their record specifies which of the four awards for which they are eligible. There are roughly 25 fields for each nominee. The list of nominees could grow by as much as 2x before we close the nomination window. This was easy.

The problem I now face is the simpliest way to present each of 10 judges with the scoring fields (not yet created) so that there's a unique score for each judge for each nominee. Each nominee will be judged on 4 categories. Each category is rated with a score of 1 - 5; each category is weighted differently for each of the four award categories.

I can easily create individual layouts for each judge, but as I contemplate this I see an exploding # of fields; roughly 40 fields just to track each judge's rating for the category/award combinations times the # of nominees. This seems wrong!

If you're reading this, you've probably guessed that I'm not that experienced in FMP setting up relationships between tables; I see this as an opportunity to stretch my FMP skills, but I'm not in a position to make a career out of this one project.

Any suggestions -- even just directional as how to approach this -- would be greatly appreciated..

Michael LoBue

lobue@lm-mgmt.com

• 1. Re: Seeking advice re: a design to evaluate award nominees...
          erolst

Search this forum for “questionnaire”.

• 2. Re: Seeking advice re: a design to evaluate award nominees...
            keywords

Why don't you post your file so that we can take a look for you?

• 3. Re: Seeking advice re: a design to evaluate award nominees...
              BruceRobertson

Note that when posting a file, (as suggeseted by Keywords) you can post a clone; or a file with dummy records if you don't want to others to view your data.

• 4. Re: Seeking advice re: a design to evaluate award nominees...
                fitch

First, each nominee should have a unique ID. A number field with an auto-entered serial number works fine for this.

Next, each judge should get a FileMaker account in the file, e.g. their names, as long as they are unique.

Next, I would make a Scores table. It will have fields for:

- the nominee ID

- the judge login name

- a field for each category

- a calc field that adds up the categories and figures out the total weighted score.

You can script the creation of these records. There will be one per judge per nominee, i.e. 400 records. Does that sound like a lot? Don't worry, that is nothing really. Remember, each record only has a handful of fields.

You can set up a privilege set in Security where you can limit record viewing and editing with a calculation like this:

Get ( AccountName ) = yourScoresTableJudgeField

That way, each judge will only see their own scores. The nice thing about this method is that it works when you do a Find or in portals.

To add up the final results, you could either make a relationship from Nominees to Scores -- using that unique ID -- and calculated field like this: Sum( Scores::totalScore )

--or--

You could create a sub-summary report in the Scores file.

HTH. --Tom

• 5. Re: Seeking advice re: a design to evaluate award nominees...
                  LyndsayHowarth

Michael,

Tom's advise is appropriate.

I would differ in one respect.... I would have a single field for Category so that each score per person has 4 records. This variation will allow sorting and dealing with the categories separatelty... therefore enabling you to separately evaluate each winner of each category. It would also allow to have separate judges for each category and not see the scores for the other categories if that is suitable.

- Lyndsay

fitch wrote:

- a field for each category

• 6. Re: Seeking advice re: a design to evaluate award nominees...
                    fitch

Lyndsay, that is a good idea. OTOH, since we don't know if those additional requirements exist, I tend to lean towards the principles of YouArentGonnaNeedIt and DoTheSimplestThingThatCouldPossiblyWork.

• 7. Re: Seeking advice re: a design to evaluate award nominees...
                      lobue

Fitch,

First off, I hope you've been enjoying a restful Thanksgiving weekend (assuming you're American, that is).

Second, I apologize for the very long delay in even acknowledging your response many weeks ago.  When I read your response I figured it was the one that most understood what I was trying to do.  Further, I didn't attempt to apply your advice until the middle of last week, when I figured that I'd have some uninterrupted time to carefully push my FMP knowledge.

I'm stumped!  I can't for the life of me figure out how to set the privilege set in Security to Get ( AccountName) = yourScoresTableJudgeField

I've set up an admin account for me and a test user account where I'd apply the privilege set -- but I can't find a window in the Security setting routine that allows me to specify a formula like this -- like the window that exists in defining field parameters.

Any tips?

Thanks again,

Michael