10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2014 6:29 PM by ibrahim_bittar

Lost in units

planteg

Hi,

in preparation for the design of a FileMaker db to run on iPads, I am doing mockups to test a few things. I personnally own an iPad 2. I sent a test db for comments to someone having an iPad mini, and was told that fields etc. were too small.

I then realized that his iPad mini has a retina display. At first I thought that since the iPad mini has double pixels in each direction was the explanation for the issue, but then learn that iPad Go units are points, not pixels. On a retina display, one point is two pixels. Nevertheless, iPad mini screen is smaller that iPad 2 or iPad air screen. I read somewhere that text size for iPad is recommended to be 18 points. On a 9.7 inches iPad, it's fine, but on a smaller screen it seems not to be.

So which way should I go if I want to have the solution to work on both 7.9" and 9.7" iPads ? Having different layers for each screen size could lead to a quite different interface .

Thanks

• 1. Re: Lost in units
          ibrahim_bittar

Hi Planteg

I make all my designs on a 1024 x 768 layout and it works fine for my iPad mini w/retina display, as well as Desktop (both Mac and Windows) and on my iPad2.

The smallest font size I use is 12 pt Helvetica Neue and I have conditional formatting to show fields in 13 pt if the user is using FileMaker Go.

For big fields I use 18 or 24 pt, depending on the control I want.

Can you send a screenshot?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lost in units
            planteg

Hi Ibrahim,

here is a screenshot from mu iPad2:

Test_iPad2.PNG

Can't tell how it looks like on an iPad mini with retina, but my guest is that it will be the same size relative to points, but smaller in real size (inches) by around 67%.

• 3. Re: Lost in units
              ibrahim_bittar

Can you post your file?

I can open it in my iPad Mini and send you back the screenshots.

• 4. Re: Lost in units
                planteg

Ibrahim,

here is the file. Glad I finally find the way to attach a file .

• 5. Re: Lost in units
                  ibrahim_bittar

It looks just fine on my iPad mini

IMG_0010.PNG

• 6. Re: Lost in units
                    planteg

Ibrahim,

it's exactly how I was expecting it, the same size in term of percentage of the height and width as on an iPad 2. The question is on the iPad mini, are the fields and buttons large enough to work with ?

I will have to buy an iPad mini to see if it's manageable - must say that my iPad 2 has a hard time with iOS 8.x .

Thanks

• 7. Re: Lost in units
                      jbante

ibrahim_bittar wrote:

I make all my designs on a 1024 x 768 layout and it works fine for my iPad mini w/retina display, as well as Desktop (both Mac and Windows) and on my iPad2.

If your layouts take up the full 1024x768, they're actually a few points too large. The appropriate dimensions for each device are listed here. The iOS Window Preview module has some scripts that help preview iOS device screen sizes on the desktop, but I'm afraid they don't necessarily help much with comparing iPad to iPad Mini physical dimensions.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Lost in units
                        planteg

The appropriate dimensions for each device are listed here.

I knew that page, it's noted so I can read that whenever needed.

The iOS Window Preview module has some scripts that help preview iOS device screen sizes on the desktop, but I'm afraid they don't necessarily help much with comparing iPad to iPad Mini physical dimensions.

I tried it, but it's no help with an iPad mini as you noted.

I will need to see my layouts on an iPad mini to get the real picture .

Thanks

• 9. Re: Lost in units
                          rgordon

An 18 pt font should be adequate for an ipad and an ipad mini.  The mini's screen is about 81% of the ipad screen.  If you change your layout to be viewed at 75% on the iPad, you can get an approximation of what it will look like on a mini.  If you feel the layout is adequate at 75% then it will be fine at 81%.  Your best option is to get a mini ipad if you want to develop for a mini.

• 10. Re: Lost in units
                            ibrahim_bittar

Well, I expressed it the wrong way...

I use layouts of 1023 x 673 pixels, which fit perfectly in a 1024 x 768 screen with all toolbars on.