2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2014 9:15 PM by ayescas

Using a blank layout to find: puzzled.

planteg

Hi,

I read the Design: Performance by Marck Richman today, great tips in there .

Things is regarding writing scripts for best performance, I don't get the example at the top of page 26:

Set Error Capture [ On ]

Freeze Window

Go to Layout [ “Customer Blank” ]

Perform Find [ Specified Find Requests: Find Records; Criteria:

Customer::Status: “Active” ] [ Restore ]

I understand fine that executing the find in an empty layout will execute faster, but then I can't display the found records since the layout is empty .

Looks like something is missing in the script, or I missed something myself.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Using a blank layout to find: puzzled.
          erolst

planteg wrote:

[…]

Looks like something is missing in the script, or I missed something myself.

Switch to a display layout that is based on the same TO as the blank layout.

planteg wrote:

I understand fine that executing the find in an empty layout will execute faster

Actually, not the Find is performed faster, but you avoid the overhead involved in displaying records you're (probably) not interested in when arriving at the layout.

Another possibility to achieve that is to enter Find mode immediately, then switch to the display layout and perform the Find.

• 2. Re: Using a blank layout to find: puzzled.
            ayescas

But will the objects still need to transfer if you are in find mode when you switch to that layout ?