4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2014 7:07 AM by beverly

Projects Starter Solution - Need Help

jmsver

Hello all,

This is my first post, and I am still pretty much a novice with FM. I've begun creating a database using the Projects starter solution. I was wondering if there was anyway to create a default set of tasks that would appear everytime a new project was created?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Projects Starter Solution - Need Help
          mikebeargie

Sure, you will need to do the following:

1) Modify the custom menu so that the "new record" menu item runs a script.

2) Create a "new project" script, that runs a check to see if you're on a projects layout ( Get(LayoutTableName) = "Projects" ), adding tasks if that is true, or just creating a new record if it's another table.

3) Create the actions in your new project script that create your new tasks. I would start by copying from the "Add Task from Project [+]" script.

4) testing and modifying...

For creating the tasks, you could easily loop through a list, something like this:

Set Variable [ $list ; List( "task1" ; "task2" ; "task3" ; etc..) ]

Loop

Set Variable [ $i ; $i + 1 ]

----create new task----

Set Field [ tasks::description ; GetValue($list;$i) ]

Exit Loop If [ $i = ValueCount($list) ]

End Loop

This would allow you to easily modify the $list any time you want to update the defaults.

• 2. Re: Projects Starter Solution - Need Help
            beverly

Welcome, jmsver, only if you create a "database" with those tasks, save it as 'template' and then create a copy of it each time you want to create a new database.

You can copy/paste many things between databases, but to get other items, you must re-create. So the template/starter database is helpful.

Beverly

• 3. Re: Projects Starter Solution - Need Help
              jmsver

Thanks for the quick response Mike, I'll give this a go.

• 4. Re: Projects Starter Solution - Need Help
                beverly

I totally missed the question! Mike to the rescue.

Beverly