Could you explain what you mean by "encrypt a single field so it can be e-mailed"? That sentence doesn't make sense to me. Are you e-mailing an .fmp12 file? The information in one field?
You may be able to create a PDF for the email. When creating pdfs, you can set a password (see the options in the dialog). Just an option,
Disclaimer: The following is not an actual secure encrypted method, it's more just for fun. The plugin option is definitely the way to go. Having said that, you should take a look at the top secret app I made for my kids :-)
A late reply, and a shameless plug from the maker, but you might want to take a look at our newly released Encryptor Plug-in 3.0 for FileMaker Pro 14:
From the PR:
What is Troi Encryptor Plug-in?
Troi Encryptor Plug-in is a very powerful tool for for securing your FileMaker data, exporting or emailing your data without risk and importing safely back into FileMaker. All from within FileMaker you can:
- encrypt text or container fields, using the powerful 256-bit AES encryption scheme, so that your sensitive data is secure
- export encrypted data that can be sent safely over Internet, for example via email. No risk that someone will read or change the data while in transit
- use the decryption functions to restore the original information after you have imported the received email or export file back into FileMaker, with the assurance that nobody will have tampered with it
- verify data integrity and sources with SHA-1 message digests
What is new in version 3.0?
Troi Encryptor Plug-in 3.0 is a major release, offering the following changes:
- Tested and made compatible with FileMaker Pro 12, 13 and 14.
- Added 3 new functions to the plug-in, to be able to easily exchange AES-encrypted data with other systems (like for example PHP-mcrypt). Also added PHP mcrypt script which demonstrates how to decrypt data in PHP, which was encrypted in FileMaker with the EncryptAES.fmp12 example file.
- Troi Encryptor Plug-in is now compatible to run under FileMaker Server. The plug-in creates log files when running under FileMaker Server to make troubleshooting easier and to provide feedback regarding errors and registration status.
- Added the example file EasyInstallTroiPlugins.fmp12, with support for the 64-bit version of FileMaker Pro 14.