If performance used to be okay, and isn't now, then start looking for:
1) What the users are doing when they report sluggishness (just sitting there? Running a script? Moving between layouts?)
2) Memory leak on the server (how much memory is the FileMaker Server process consuming?)
3) Changes in user network usage (is somone running streaming video? Or several someones?)
4) Changes in network configuration (did we add / change routers? What about the topology of the network?)
5) Do we have a bad piece of network hardware?
6) Has something in the database changed? Do you have many more records in a frequently-used table than you used to? What about the number of fields - has it gone up significantly? Or have you added graphics to the layout? Have you added any aggregate functionality (summary fields, aggregate calculations) to a layout that users access frequently?
Those are some of the questions to ask.
Are these Server Log messages ?
Once for us was a bad patch cord, on the host machine
Look for anything that might have changed
> plus frequent messages of FileMaker 'not responding'.
Thanks Mike... very helpful. I will investigate some of those possibilities.
No, the "not responding" messages are appearing for the clients.