4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2014 6:28 PM by user5571

FileMaker sluggish / Not Responding

user5571

I have a client with about 20 users on a Windows FileMaker 11 Server. Recently performance has declined, and many users are now reporting sluggish speed in general, plus frequent messages of FileMaker 'not responding'.

I know it's like finding a needle in the haystack but what are some of the things to look at with the 'not responding' messages.

Thanks for any advice...

• 1. Re: FileMaker sluggish / Not Responding
          Mike_Mitchell

If performance used to be okay, and isn't now, then start looking for:

1) What the users are doing when they report sluggishness (just sitting there? Running a script? Moving between layouts?)

2) Memory leak on the server (how much memory is the FileMaker Server process consuming?)

3) Changes in user network usage (is somone running streaming video? Or several someones?)

4) Changes in network configuration (did we add / change routers? What about the topology of the network?)

5) Do we have a bad piece of network hardware?

6) Has something in the database changed? Do you have many more records in a frequently-used table than you used to? What about the number of fields - has it gone up significantly? Or have you added graphics to the layout? Have you added any aggregate functionality (summary fields, aggregate calculations) to a layout that users access frequently?

Those are some of the questions to ask.

Mike

• 2. Re: FileMaker sluggish / Not Responding
            gdurniak

Are these Server Log messages ?

Once for us was a bad patch cord, on the host machine

Look for anything that might have changed

greg

> plus frequent messages of FileMaker 'not responding'.

• 3. Re: FileMaker sluggish / Not Responding
              user5571

Thanks Mike... very helpful.   I will investigate some of those possibilities.  

• 4. Re: FileMaker sluggish / Not Responding
                user5571

No, the "not responding" messages are appearing for the clients.