AnsweredAssumed Answered

Save as PDF Inconsistency - How to Fix?

Question asked by ErikWegweiser on Nov 6, 2014
Latest reply on Nov 10, 2014 by keywords

Greetings:

I haven't seen any posts regarding this specific problem, though possibly related in nature.

The basic problem is that there is a significant and problemmatic difference between PDFs that are created

by FileMaker using the Save As PDF command versus Preview / Printing.

I have a solution that I thought would cleverly allow me to control where pages break in FileMaker reports.

It works!

Except sometimes when a mysterious blank page is inserted in the middle of my document (for instance, between page 5 and 6 of a 6-page document).

The problem has to do with font metrics and/or substitution, etc.

When I manually save the report from a Print dialog, it always looks great, with no problem.

However, the same report, when using the Save as PDF command, contains different font / metrics,

occasionally causing the wonky page break and "extra" page (I presume multiple instances of an extra page are also possible, though I haven't seen that yet).

Evidently, there is some difference in the PDF engine that FileMaker uses for "Save as PDF" as opposed to Preview or Print.

What can be done about this? Ideas?

This occurs (though differently) using FileMaker Pro Advanced 13 in both Windows and Mac (including older OS X desktop and on a MacBook with newer OS X Mavericks and Retina screen).

Thanks.

Here is a dropbox link to a ZIP archive containing images and pdfs that illustrate the issue.

Two sample PDFs and two screen shots that more clearly demonstrate the difference in font / metrics.

Outcomes