6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2014 9:23 AM by taylorsharpe

FMP 6 Developer update 6.0v4

ErwinRemaut

Can someone help me to get the 6.0v4 update for FMP 6 Developer please?

• 1. Re: FMP 6 Developer update 6.0v4
          steveromig

ErwinRemaut wrote:

Can someone help me to get the 6.0v4 update for FMP 6 Developer please?

I don't know if this will work for the Developer version or not - but I suspect it will.  Does not hurt to try.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1016

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMP 6 Developer update 6.0v4
            ErwinRemaut

Allas, that updater is not working on the Developer release.

BTW it's the Windows updater i seek...

• 3. Re: FMP 6 Developer update 6.0v4
              ErwinRemaut

OK, we found it back on an old backup system.

Case closed

• 4. Re: FMP 6 Developer update 6.0v4
                taylorsharpe

Glad you found it.  I hope you're doing this to upgrade an old system and that no one is really using FMP 6 for work (came out around 2002). The 6 to 7 upgrade is a particularly big step.  If you can get it at least into the .fp7 format, you'll be doing a lot better.  Even better I hope is that you're moving them to version 13! 

• 5. Re: FMP 6 Developer update 6.0v4
                  gdurniak

Not always

When we upgraded from FileMaker 6 to 9,  performance actually went down ( e.g. importing records, which we do a lot )

FileMaker 6 runs extremely well on a Gb Network

greg

> If you can get it at least into the .fp7 format,  you'll be doing a lot better

• 6. Re: FMP 6 Developer update 6.0v4
                    taylorsharpe

I know its another topic, but importing is one feature in an overall software product and overall performance did not go down in upgrading to v7. 

The big difference in this one feature you are comparing is how FileMaker changed how it created indexing when going from v6 to v7.  So, yes, you can probably find a single feature in any version that goes faster than some future version, but as a whole, v7 vastly improved particularly in the schema (multiple tables per file), relationship graph and security model. 

I'm fairly sure the slowing speed in importing was a result of changes in indexing with some added features such as maybe faster searches or being able to handle foreign character sets that need more characters than ASCII can support, but I am just guessing.  I doubt they made it slower for the sake of making it slower <grin>. 

I will concur with you that FileMaker's performance on importing is really poor compared to many other database engines.  One reason is that FileMaker rebuilds the index for each record that is imported or deleted.  Most other databases import everything and then update the indexes once instead of one time for every record imported/deleted. To do this, the databases have to lock the table during the import/delete, but it sure would be nice if FileMaker would give that option. 

FYI, importing speed really improves on FM13 when you import it to the server's documents folder and do a PSOS.