7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2014 2:21 PM by beverly

Payments & Part Payments

dchabot

Hi,

Beverly mentioned from another thread about payment and part payment tables to allow spreading a payment among several invoices.

Excerpt below:

Hello, Rob. I agree that you should have this a separate table (even for occasionally). I have two tables for accepting $$:

Payments

Payment_splits.

Payments get the full amount of a check (or other form of payment), "splits" get the division of the full amount into the appropriate invoices. This is how a lot of accounting programs work. One payment can be used for multiple invoices and invoices can have multiple payments.

It's not that difficult and if you already have your repeating field, you can export then import to divide out the values into a related table.

Beverly

I am not able to get to the splitting of a payment across multiple invoices.

This is what I have:

Customers - Jobs - Job Invoices Line Item(Invid) - Payments(invid) - Payment Splits(invid)

When entering a payment/check amt you look up the job by id, which brings down the customer info etc, then a button to lookup the invoices.

Invoices come up and you can select which one to apply the payment to, which may not be the whole amount.

So far OK, but I cannot figure out how to bring in the payment splits!!!!!

I'm missing a many to many?

Thanks so much

DChabot

• 1. Re: Payments & Part Payments
          erolst

This is what I have:

Customers - Jobs - Job Invoices Line Item(Invid) - Payments(invid) - Payment Splits(invid)

Shouldn't that rather be:

Customers --< Jobs --< Payment Splits >-- Payments >-- Customers ?

(ignoring LineItems as not being pertinent to that topic)

• 2. Re: Payments & Part Payments
            dchabot

Eroist,

Thank you, I tried that relationship but it didn't work.

Why wouldn't I want to look into the line items file where all the invoices reside vs the Jobs file which doesn't

contain the invoice details?

• 3. Re: Payments & Part Payments
              erolst

dchabot wrote:

the line items file where all the invoices reside vs the Jobs file which doesn't

contain the invoice details?

Because you said you want to split payments between several invoices, not between individual parts of an invoice; that means that you would regard the invoice as a whole.

If you want to treat that differently, you could use

Customers --< Jobs --< Job Invoices Line Item >-- Payment Splits >-- Payments

which means that every line item is balanced by one split payment. If you want to be able to balance a line item by multiple split payments (possibly from several different payments), you need another table between the line items and the splits.

• 4. Re: Payments & Part Payments
                gdurniak

Most solutions have a Jobs table,  an Invoices table,  then an Invoices Line Items table for the detail

If your Invoices all have just one item,  then one Invoice table would suffice

Perhaps that's what you've done

greg

> Why wouldn't I want to look into the line items file where all the invoices reside vs the Jobs file which doesn't contain the invoice details?

• 5. Re: Payments & Part Payments
                  beverly

Hey, Deb!

If I enter the payment from an invoice, I make the relationship to the splits, but allow creation of related records and this make the "payments" record, too. I have various ways to get to the payments or splits, it all depends on what is easier for you. No additional joins just the creation of related.

Create a pop-up to enter a payment then assign the splits

or enter a split to an invoice, which also creates the "payment".

Yes, you have to enter the full amount on payments. Yes, you have to enter the amount of the split per invoice.

I guess the "splits" IS the "join file" between payments and invoices. But I have the relationships just as you do. The invoice ID goes into the splits, not the payments.

I don't have the relationship to the "line items", but to the invoice so I don't know if that's your disconnect.

Invoices -< splits (allow creation) >- payments (allow creation)

HTH,

Beverly

• 6. Re: Payments & Part Payments
                    dchabot

Beverly, thanks so much for your easy explanation.

I'm almost there!

I want to track the amount that is being applied until they equal the check/payment amount so a dialog can

be displayed like 'You haven't applied the whole payment' or 'Payment has been applied' and so forth.

How do you track the amount applied?

I've set a variable $ckamt, and then I setup a global balance where I add the total part payment variable $partpayt for each invoice until

it reaches the check amt.

Set variable $ckamt/ckamt

Pause

'Accept Button'

Set Variable-  $partpayt_total

Set field: gbalance + $partpay_total

Show custom dialog "Hurrah"

Does this seem a bit clumsy?

Thanks so much!

Deb

• 7. Re: Payments & Part Payments
                      beverly

Base it on Sum(splits)  = amtDue? That's what I do.

-- sent from myPhone --

Beverly Voth

--