3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2014 5:25 AM by dsr1

Pop-up Menu Vs Drop Down

dsr1

Hi All,

I just noticed something that seems to be an anomoly.

A simple value list to select a person from the HR table: First (use) field is the the record's SN and the second is the person's name, with 'Show Values only from Second Field" on.

For the purpose of this test I have the same value list used by two instances each of two fields. (directly on a flat layout, not in a popover or a portal)

Pop-ups

Text target field is populated with: Person's Name

Numeric target field is populated with: Persons Name

Drop-Downs

Text target field is populated with: Record SN

Numeric target field is populated with: Record SN

Now, if I change the value list to display both source fields, I get:

Pop-ups

Text target field is populated with: Record SN AND Person's Name

Numeric target field is populated with: Record SN AND Persons Name

Drop-Downs

Text target field is populated with: Record SN

Numeric target field is populated with: Record SN

So the Drop-Downs are working as expected, but the pop-ups are dodging me.

I also noted that when I edited the value list the pop-up target fields changed their content without needing to be reselected, so there is clesrly a lot I do not know about these field types.

Can anyone please tell me the basic that I clearly do not understand and or point me to the knowledge I need?

Thanks

Peter

• 1. Re: Pop-up Menu Vs Drop Down
          wimdecorte

It's only a visual thing.  When you use a popup with the option to show a second field.  The target field display will show the second field.  But the target field itself will ONLY contain the value of the first value list field, not the value from the second value list field.  Put the target field on the layout again, but without a value list attached to it and you will see that with both drop-down and popup, only the value fo the frist value list field gets into the target field.

• 2. Re: Pop-up Menu Vs Drop Down
            davehob

Peter,

I've found it tricky to get the best out of drop-downs and pop-ups, and now generally use both on the same field.  I've documented this here  - doesn't directly address the point you've raised, but may be of use or interest to you.

Dave.

• 3. Re: Pop-up Menu Vs Drop Down
              dsr1

Thanks Guys,

So the displayed "data" in the actioned layout is just there for the user so it matches what they selected.  The real data is not the "name" but the record SN.

I should have looked at the results in another layout. I am not used to such luxuries.

Great stuff.