6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2014 4:39 PM by jjfcpa

Looking for a small business payroll program

jjfcpa

I have found this forum to be a valuable resource for Filemaker and by asking this question, I hope I am not breaking any rules.

As a small busines owner, I have been using Quickbooks for years. Intuit seems to be trying to squeeze as much cash flow out of their current customers because they have recently done a couple of things that I find quite disturbing.

1. Their payroll program now not only has a monthly charge, but a per employee charge per month. It will cost you $2 or $3 per month per employee to continue to use their payroll service.

2. As a practicing CPA, I also use Proseries, which is their tax preparation software for accountants. This year, there is a $ 359 additional charge for Fast Path, which allows you to e-file tax returns beyond the normal filing dates. They are passing this off as a separation of services from the process of actually creating the returns to the process of actually filing the returns. Since more than 80% of individual returns are now e-filed, it looks like they decided to use this as a way to pull off this crap.

So instead of just ponying up the additional amount, I'm looking for alternatives. Preferrably something that runs on a Mac.

The payroll program that looks the most promising is Checkmark Payroll. Has anyone used this program? Feedback would be appreciated.

I don't really need a full replacement for Quickbooks, because we have our own application that will allow me to enter cash receipts and disbursements and generate the general ledger, trial balance, and financials. I can enter the payroll information "after the fact" as accountants like to refer to it.

If anyone has any suggestions or better yet, if you know of any Filemaker solutions for payroll, I'd love to hear about it.

• 1. Re: Looking for a small business payroll program
          miler24

We have full-featured payroll, time & attendance and accounting modules among others in our construction ERP solution.  It's all written for FileMaker 13 and is subscription based.  We're in the final stages of beta testing and are therefore still in "stealth" mode; so you won't find much publically about it yet.  Drop me a line to see if it's compatible with your unique needs.

Eric Miller

DocuWrx

emiller@docuwrx.com

Clearwater, FL

• 2. Re: Looking for a small business payroll program
            dchabot

Hi,

I've used Checkmark Payroll and found it to quite sufficient.

I did however write a payroll program currently Filemaker 11, for the Mac.

I modified an older Filemaker payroll app that ran one check at a time so I could enter

batches of hours and process all at once. I wanted to be all Filemaker.

Let me know if your interested.

DChabot

• 3. Re: Looking for a small business payroll program
              jjfcpa

As much as I'd like to be all Filemaker, trying to reproduce the forms (941, 940, W-2's, and state) might be a little too much.  Does yours have the forms included?

• 4. Re: Looking for a small business payroll program
                dchabot

jjfcpa

I have the 941, and W2's setup but I've not developed the 940 which should be fairly easy

considering all the data is there from the W2's which is easily filed online. Each year I add the new 941, and W2 forms into

the software as pdf's and adjust, if necessary any of the fields. I use the actual downloaded forms from the

IRS. The IRS makes slight annual changes, like for example the Health Care Act etc.

Also, I have set up only the Mass State Tax Tables, as that's all we needed, you'd have to setup your own

for Omaha, Nebraska, or for the state your client would need.

Like I said, we tailored the old software for our needs and it's been running smoothly for the past 5 years

without a hitch.

Contact me back channel if you'd like to see it.

DChabot

• 5. Re: Looking for a small business payroll program
                  warrendean

DChabot,

I have a small number of people in my organisation which I manage using an adapted starter solution. I would like to incorporate salary payments into that solution.

I would be interested in seeing how your Payroll application was written and implemented, if that is possible.

Warren

• 6. Re: Looking for a small business payroll program
                    jjfcpa

I've checked out "Checkmark" and found it to be very good.  We start using it January 1 and will be dumping Quickbooks.  My company has a program called Quick Trial Balance that is primarily for professional accountants, but it has the ability to handle cash receipts and disbursements and generate a general ledger.  We'll be posting payroll "after-the-fact" from Checkmarks into our Quick Trial Balance program.

We may even add an option in QTB to import directly from Checkmark since their data files are Sqlite as are our QTB data files.

Thanks for recommending Checkmark.  I think it's the best I've looked at so far.