4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2014 12:32 PM by fm-rookie

FM11 Server: files not visible on client machine

fm-rookie

Hello Community,

I've got some trouble with one of my two client computers. After installing FM11 Server on my 3rd machine (which was already a hard task to get it running ), I could manage at least one of my clients to connect to the host and open the hosted files - this one works perfect. Unfortunately that doesn't work on my second client machine, although the system is quite similar (all 3 computers are win7 pc, working in a common LAN network). I can see the host computer, but when I click it, it doesn't show any files. I have disabled all firewalls and Apple Bonjour service is installed, but I can't get it to work. There must be something I have overlooked.

Has anyone got a clue?

Thanks,

Gregor

PS: I'm from Germany, just in case my english doesn't always sound straight

• 1. Re: FM11 Server: files not visible on client machine
          BruceHerbach

Gregor,

In FileMaker 11 on the problem system,  are you selecting Open Remote,  and Local Hosts is selected in the View menu ( upper right of open remote file window )?  Does it list the FMS server.

The issue could be that the three computers are not on the same segment of the local LAN.  Try selecting Favorite Hosts and adding the IP address for the FMS server?

HTH
          Bruce

• 2. Re: FM11 Server: files not visible on client machine
            fm-rookie

Hi Bruce,

thanks for the help. I selected Open Remote and when I select Local Hosts, it shows the following:

screen.jpg

Daten-PC is the host computer with FMS11 running. On my other client I can click on the host, then it shows the hosted files in the right window. Adding the IP adress manually didn't help. The clients and the server are in the same home network group.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Gregor

• 3. Re: FM11 Server: files not visible on client machine
              BruceHerbach

Hi,

In the screen shot,  I am seeing to versions of Daten-PC.  The upper one appears to be using IPv6.  Are you using IPv6 on your network?  Or is it just turned on as a default?

Try a couple of things..

1) Click on the upper IPv6 version of Daten-PC and see if you get a list of files.  I'm not sure is FMS 11 supported IPv6.  I haven't used it. That stated,  since FileMaker Pro and FMS are Apps,  it shouldn't care what the underlying IP Protocol is,  but it will probably connect to just one and not both.

2) If you are not intentionally using IPv6 on your network,  go to Daten-PC and see if you can turn it off in the Network settings.  then reboot the server and see if you can access the files.

Bruce

• 4. Re: FM11 Server: files not visible on client machine
                fm-rookie

Hi Bruce,

sorry, I was away for a couple of days to solve some other problems. In the mean time the German Filemaker Support has answered me and solved the problem. During installation of FM11, it's possible that the file "server.pem" is not properly installed, or not installed at all. So they sent me this file, I installed it on the client machine and after a reset, everything worked fine and I could access data from both clients . So it was kind of a connection problem between the client and the host.

Anyway, thanks for your help, you were the first to answer from 4 different sources I had connected .

Thanks,

Gregor