1 2 3 Previous Next 35 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2015 7:57 PM by steveromig

9 out of 12 design families deprecated ...

intex

Just as a warning to those, who didn´t read the release notes for yesterday´s update to 13v4.

9 out of 12 design families are deprecated and will probably fade away with the release of FM 14.

Most important is, that the classic design theme is deprecated too - this will mean a lot of work for many of us.

Plus changing the design to the remaining themes just isn´t a one click operation either - so beware.

I think it´s quite astonishing, that this really huge change in the future is buried in an updater release note.

• 1. Re: 9 out of 12 design families deprecated ...
          mbraendle

They didn't tell in which version this will happen in this release note.

• 2. Re: 9 out of 12 design families deprecated ...
            coherentkris

intex,

If it was not 'buried" in a release note where/how would you suggest they inform the customer... a personal phone call?

Why not drop the constantly accusatory tone?

Kris

• 3. Re: 9 out of 12 design families deprecated ...
              thebridge

Which is a problem in and of itself, IMHO

Robert Bloomfield

• 4. Re: 9 out of 12 design families deprecated ...
                intex

a personal phone call?

haha

how about an announcement here in this forum like they did for FM GO x not being sold anymore

or

an incorporation of this important fact in the monthly newsletter

And indeed an information about when we can expect this to happen is missing, too. Sooner, or later - nobody knows.

In my eyes this is just bad PR.

By the way: It wouldn´t have been that bad, if they said something about v4 a little earlier. Why did they not announce something like "we are working on 10.10 compatibility - you can expect an update within the next x months/weeks." Wouldn´t harm them and customers would have been happy and nothing would have been up to rumors, hopes or fears.

"Accusatory tone?" - yes, if there is something to accuse. And sadly there is a lot ...

• 5. Re: 9 out of 12 design families deprecated ...
                  thebridge

At times i feel like i am constantly looking over my shoulder, wondering what FMI changes will be made that will cause developers more pain. I understand the frustration of the "oh, bye the way" attitude perceived with these type of changes being placed at the end of a knowledge base record who's subject line has NO relevance to

DEPRECIATED TECHNOLOGIES

I believe that such changes are deserving of their own Knowledge Base Record with an appropriate subject line, like:  "APIs, Technologies, or Features to Be Deprecated".

better supportive information such as when and implications of the depreciation. When it comes to themes... had i used any of those being depreciated, I would be very angry. Going forward, what is a "safe" theme that can be used? FMI, please have some respect and provide some guidance.
                  Respectfully,

Robert Bloomfield

• 6. Re: 9 out of 12 design families deprecated ...
                    beverly

The release notes say deprecated. It happens. They ARE giving us time to stop using whatever in the future will NOT be available. Better than after the fact...

beverly

• 7. Re: 9 out of 12 design families deprecated ...
                      jrenfrew

Maybe next years FBA awards should contain one for whinger of the year.

• 8. Re: 9 out of 12 design families deprecated ...
                        thebridge

Mr. Renfrew,

Did my comments sound like a whing to you? My comments were not meant as that. I understand that things can and will be depreciated over time. All i was asking for was better guidance and a better method of delivering the news.
                        Respectfully,

Robert Bloomfield

• 9. Re: 9 out of 12 design families deprecated ...
                          mbraendle

I disagree. Such KB records can be found - with clear headlines - if you search with "deprecated" or "depreciation". And there is also a note  at the end of the mentioned release note:

"For the latest information about deprecated APIs, technologies, and features, search FileMaker Knowledge Base available at http://help.filemaker.com"

As far as I remember, such information has always been made available in the Release Notes, in a Readme First, or in a special section of the installation guide. And these are the documents one SHOULD read before one decides to install an upgrade or update. So the information is at the right place.

Also, at conferences and other occasions FileMaker reps inform about features that might be deprecated in future.

Regarding themes: I don't think a FM file will become non-functional if it has stored a deprecated theme. It will just be not possible to add new layout elements using the old theme, because it's not there anymore. I hope there will be a conversion process.

I'm wondering whether FM Inc. will change the theme structure (e.g. in Mac OS X :

FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/Resources/Themes/... ) completely. If not, we would still have a way to save, adapt and reuse those themes for a new version.

• 10. Re: 9 out of 12 design families deprecated ...
                            jrenfrew

Nope. Not attached to anything in particular.

Just posited a notion.

Here's another.

Either we can spend vast numbers of hours being negative or be kind, generous and contribute positively to the community.

And another.

Sometimes, even as adults we are not privy to ALL the secrets. Being an adult means we know how to handle it without sounding like a child.

• 11. Re: 9 out of 12 design families deprecated ...
                              thebridge

Hi Martin,

Not trying to argue here... but when i follow your instuctions of " Such KB records can be found - with clear headlines - if you search with "deprecated" or "depreciation" Software Update: FileMaker Pro 13.0v4 and FileMaker Pro 13.0v4 Advanced release notes does not come up.

regarding your comments:

"Regarding themes: I don't think a FM file will become non-functional if it has stored a deprecated theme. It will just be not possible to add new layout elements using the old theme, because it's not there anymore. I hope there will be a conversion process."

"I'm wondering whether FM Inc. will change the theme structure (e.g. in Mac OS X : 

FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/Resources/Themes/... ) completely. If not, we would still have a way to save, adapt and reuse those themes for a new version."

this is what I was refering to when I mentioned "guidance"... ie, better information so we know what to expect. What was provided left many unanswered questions.

Respectfully

Robert Bloomfield

• 12. Re: 9 out of 12 design families deprecated ...
                                DavidJondreau

"Depreciate" is a financial term. "Deprecate" is the word you're looking for. Search for deprecate returns the KB, on the second page of results. Not ideal ( I don't know how the seach engine ranks these results), but it's there.

Maybe you're new to FileMaker, so you don't know that FMI doesn't give the guidance you're looking for. Maybe they don't know how something will be implemented or when, and they've learned that the public relations is better if they are close mouthed rather than raise expectations with specific dates and not meet them. Everything I hear indicates they are aware of the posts of this forum, almost never comment on issues here, and they are very unlikely to change this policy.

FMI is actually giving fair warning here. More than they usually do. These themes are not deprecated with this update. We are being given notice that they may be deprecated in future releases.

Remember, all technologies deprecate functions. (Personally, I don't support databases I built pre-9.) Every single web technology and app had to deprecate. You can complain about FMI, but try to get a security update for Windows XP. It's the way of the world.

• 13. Re: 9 out of 12 design families deprecated ...
                                  thebridge

Hi David,

my mistake on the word. I have been an FMP consultant/developer since v.3. I wasn't complaining about fmi, i was simply stating an opinion and a couple wishes.

rb

• 14. Re: 9 out of 12 design families deprecated ...
                                    gdurniak

A bit more detail would help

If a Theme is just CSS,  they should all still work,  just no longer offered as a choice for new projects

greg

> 9 out of 12 design families are deprecated

> I don't think a FM file will become non-functional if it has stored a deprecated theme. It will just be not possible to add new layout elements using the old theme, because it's not there anymore

1 2 3 Previous Next