1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2014 11:27 AM by tflannery

How to install 13.0.4 update?

melmitts

I purchased the download version of FileMaker Pro Advanced v13. When I attempt to apply the 13.0.4 upgrade it asks for the installation CD which I don't have. I started the original setup and extracted the files to both a folder and a virtual CD but when I point the updater to them it shows an error and says it isn't a valid FilMaker Pro Advanced MSI file. I am running Windows 7 Pro.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mel

• 1. Re: How to install 13.0.4 update?
          DavidZakary

I had the same issue. Are you logged into a domain with a limited access account? I haven't had the time to install the update after it failed for me, but I think that might be the issue.

• 2. Re: How to install 13.0.4 update?
            PSI

I just installed the updater for FM 13 Advanced. Windows 7 pro 64 bit logged in as administrator. No Problems

John

• 3. Re: How to install 13.0.4 update?
              melmitts

I was/am logged in as admin. I checked the installed programs in the Control Panel and it lists FlieMaker Pro Advanced 13.0.3 and FileMaker Pro Advanced 13.0.4 as both installed. One 617MB and the other 619MB, both in the same location.

FileMaker, of couse won't run. I tried to uninstall one of the programs and neither will uninstall.

What a disaster... Anyone know how to access the FileMaker data if you don't have FileMaker on the computer?

I guess my next step is to recover the data and convert it to a MS Access database...

Thanks

• 4. Re: How to install 13.0.4 update?
                PSI

wow! I have been using FileMaker on windows for 20 years. Never heard of such a thing. Restart in safe mode and try to uninstall both FM versions. Then install again.

John

• 5. Re: How to install 13.0.4 update?
                  DavidZakary

Tried as an admin user - still no luck.

Downloaded the full FMPA 13 installer - no remove option and I still get an error about the installed product does not match the installation source(s). Until a matching product is provided or the install product and the source are synchronized, this action can not be performed.

Also tried the Windows control panel to remove FileMaker Pro Adv 13 by brute force. I see both v3 and v4 installed and neither can be removed.

• 6. Re: How to install 13.0.4 update?
                    melmitts

I managed to get FMPA 13 uninstalled by boot Windows 7 Pro in Safe Mode. Going to \Program Files (x86)\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced\Setup\ and running Uninstall.exe from there. Unfortunately, it left the entries in the Installed files list on the computer. I tried installing FMPA 13.0.1. It goes about half way through the setup and pops up an error message "The older version of FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced cannot be removed. Contact your Technical Support Group" and then removes all the current files.

I was however able to reinstall v12 so I have access to my data so I can convert it to an MS Access database.  I am starting to see why everyone kept telling me FileMaker is for Apple and not a good application for Windows...

• 7. Re: How to install 13.0.4 update?
                      BruceHerbach

Well you could try the brute force method.  Backup the computer first. Then delete the FileMaker folders and all files.  Last edit the registry and delete all of the FileMaker registry keys.

When done reboot.  Then try and do a new install and update.

Warning. Doing this may cause other issues and may not fix the problem. All of this should be done with full access rights to the system.

Good luck

Sent from my mobile device... Please excuse typos.

• 8. Re: How to install 13.0.4 update?
                        PSI

I know your current experience suggests.otherwise but    whomever is telling you that it just isn't true. If you can't delete a program from the OS something is really wrong with your computer.

I currently run fm 6, 12 and 13 on windows 7 with no problem.

John Morina

O: 631.549.0969

C: 516.443.0966

John.morina@pueblo-systems.com

Sent from my Windows Phone

• 9. Re: How to install 13.0.4 update?
                          BruceHerbach

I'm sorry you are having difficulties with the update. 

That stated FileMaker runs just fine on windows.  I have many clients that have only windows systems and love what FileMaker does for them.

I used to have a number of staff that developed business apps in Access. It would take them months to do what I do in FileMaker in days and we still had the issues of not really being able to share the database.

Wish you the best of luck. 

Are you running the install as the same user that installed originally? Wonder if you are really running into a permissions issue.

Sent from my mobile device... Please excuse typos.

• 10. Re: How to install 13.0.4 update?
                            melmitts

After finally getting the program to uninstall and being unable to get it to reinstall I decided to do a Brute Force removal. I deleted all the FileMaker folders on the machine. That included the \Program files (x86), the \User\..\AppData folders and the \Program Data folders. Next I went to the registry and removed all referenced to "FileMaker". Then I tried to reinstall FMPA 13 and it will not install. It just runs about 30 seconds into the install program and then pops the message "The older version of FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced cannot be removed. Contact your Technical Support Group" and then does a roll back. No other error messages, just exits.

• 11. Re: How to install 13.0.4 update?
                              BruceHerbach

I hate to say this,  but I think your system is corrupt. It's a pain,  but I would consider making backups of all of your data. Then reformat and reinstall windows.  I know this is a painful way to go but I'm out of suggestions.

Good luck

• 12. Re: How to install 13.0.4 update?
                                intex

try showing the installer the msi file of the v2 updater - for me, that was the only msi file the v4 updater was accepting, not the CD v1, not v3, only v2 worked.

• 13. Re: How to install 13.0.4 update?
                                  melmitts

I can't install FMPA 13 to even attempt an update. When I attempt to install FMPA 13.0.1 it begins to install then pops up the error "Error 1714. The older version of FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group." and aborts even though there is no old version of FMPA 13 on the computer.

It is a shame FileMaker doesn't support its software unless you pay extra...

• 14. Re: How to install 13.0.4 update?
                                    melmitts

One final followup comment...

I installed FMPA 13.0.1 on my laptop computer running Windows 7 Pro with all current updates. No problems at all. I re-downloaded the FMPA 13.0.4 update from the FileMaker website and ran the update. I got the same exact error and same exact results. So, I am done with FileMaker 13. Time to move on...

1 2 Previous Next