1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 24, 2014 1:11 AM by keywords

Finding the monthy sum in the data

siddhant530

Hi,

I started to use filemaker a few months ago and till now i was setting up the environment and importing the data from the excel files. Now that I have the layout and the data in the database, I would like to work on the calculations that i would like to do. in the database i have fields for the month, year along with a purchasing fields storing some numbers. the purchasing is of type number. What I would like to do is to display the sum for the different records according to the month. Therefore i would like to display a sum of purchasing for all records in the month of January, february and so on for the current month. I tried to use to sum function to do this but it only dispalys the first record in that month and not the sum. When i look in list view, it gets all the numbers for that month but not the sum. How can I accomplish this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Finding the monthy sum in the data
          keywords

What you need to do is use a Summary field on a suitable report layout. If you make a list view layout with a sub-summary part sorted by month, place the summary field on that sub-summary part and then sort the file by month, you will see that the summary field will show the totals for each month in turn.