2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2014 1:48 PM by Stephen Huston

Avoiding repetition

annoici

Good morning all,

A question – my first – so please be gentle with me as I am sure there is quite a simple solution to my novice query.

I am creating a database to track Powerpoint slides used in various presentations.

For example say I have four fields and the following three records:

Lecture A | Location X | 10/10/2014 | 10 slides

Lecture B | Location X | 04/11/2014 | 20 slides

Lecture C | Location Y | 10/10/2014 | 15 slides

I would like to create a layout that summarises this information in three lines. So I only want one instance of each lecture not 10, 15 or 20. I can find workarounds but I feel there has to be a more elegant method than mine.

Regards

Brendan

• 1. Re: Avoiding repetition
          erolst

annoici wrote:

For example say I have four fields and the following three records:

Lecture A | Location X | 10/10/2014 | 10 slides

Lecture B | Location X | 04/11/2014 | 20 slides

Lecture C | Location Y  | 10/10/2014  | 15 slides

I would like to create a layout that summarises this information in three lines.

Unless you described either your setup or your goal incorrectly, then I'm not sure what exactly it is you want to summarize – you have three records, each describing a different lecture, and one of the attributes is the number of slides. Each record already is an instance (the only one) of a lecture, and simply listing them will give you three lines.

It would be different if you actually have a Lectures table (as described above) and a related child table of Slides; there you'd have 45 (10+20+15) records, which you could then summarize by their parent (lecture) record, to arrive at 3 lines (if you don't use a body part), each showing data from the parent plus a summary field for the number of slides per group (parent).

• 2. Re: Avoiding repetition
            Stephen Huston

If what you actually have is the record for each of 45 slides, then you will want a subsummary part on the layout when sorted by lecture, and sorting on the lecture will give you the 3 subsummaries in a line each. By removing the BODY part from the layout, your report will be just those thre lecture lines. Pretty much what Erolst said, but noting the layout parts involved.