5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2014 5:16 PM by dsr1

Searching in Scripts

dsr1

Hi All,

I've looked everywhere that I can think of, but I can see now way to search for a string in the Script Editor.

Is this possible or do I need to create a PDF and search that?

Thanks

Peter

• 1. Re: Searching in Scripts
          wimdecorte

Can't do it natively, so printing a PDF is one option.

If you don't mind paying for the functionality you may find that this tool is indispensable:

http://www.dracoventions.com/products/2empowerFM/family/developer.php

• 2. Re: Searching in Scripts
            keywords

If you are using a Mac you can use the Open PDF in Preview option in the print dialog box. This gives you a temporary PDF version with limited search function, but it may be sufficient for your needs and saves creating a whol lot of PDFs.

• 3. Re: Searching in Scripts
              StephenWonfor

dsr1

Totally agree with Wim about the Developer Assistant.  Quite totally essential.  Also really great is the fmSyntaxColorizer (Mac only) - it uses the MBS pluginn from MonkeyBread.  It allows you to color script steps - makes seeing logical patterns a treat.

Stephen

"We all agree that your theory is crazy, but is it crazy enough?" ~Niels Bohr

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Searching in Scripts
                Nehme

I don't know if this can help.

I use this a lot when I need to search for something in my solution.

In Filemaker Pro Advanced

Tools --> Databse Design Report --> check scripts --> click create

This will create an HTML file that you can easily search.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Searching in Scripts
                  dsr1

Thanks Gentlemen,

My scripts are largish (some > 150 A4 pages), lots of tables, layouts and relationships so the Database Design Report is like two volumes of War & Peace.

My scripts are pretty well organised with the first few pages setup as undexes pointing to "Procedure Numbers" , e.g. "14.8 Delete this thingy", "14.9 Delete this other thingy" and so on.

I have been using PDFs and they are OK, but slow. Iv'e downloaded a trial of the Developer Assistant and it looks great. I should have downloaded it long ago. The script writer is a bit agricultural. I guess the dev team will focus on it when the Global New Fuctionalty Race slows.

Thanks again.

Peter