4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2014 1:17 AM by mbeck65

Export/Import: record's identifier issues

mbeck65

When I export records from a table in a FM file and I import the same records inside a different FM file I have the following behaviour in the different scenarios:

1. If I don't import the record ID from the source - the records are correctly imported but the field that I use as record identifier (which has been defined as serielized number inside the automatic data entry section) isn't automatically created and remains empty.

I try to explain by using an example:

I export 10 record from the first FM file; the record IDs are not exported; when I import the records inside the second FM file the records are imported but the record IDs are empty instead of numered from 1 to 10. Moreover, after the import if I create a new record the ID is set to 1 instead to 11.

2. If I import the record ID from the source - the records are correctly imported and also the record identifier (defined in the same way of the previous scenario) is set to the original value but... The Next Value for the record ID is wrong handled and it isn't set to real value that should be...

I try to explain by using an example:

I export 10 record from the first FM file; the record IDs are from 1 to 10; when I import the records inside the second FM file the records are imported as they use in the first FM file but when I create a new record the second FM file the record ID is set to 1 instead to 11.

Could someone please help me to understand how to correctly export/import records so that the record IDs are automatically handled by the FM engine and they are unique in the table (I mean that I have to use this field as a primary key)?

Thanks a lot for your ideas and suggestions

Max