gilcano

Developing a tracking system for Maintenance Request

Discussion created by gilcano on Nov 28, 2014
Latest reply on Nov 29, 2014 by gilcano

Hi guys, I'm new to FileMaker but I'd been reading a lot and also watching some videos about FileMaker. I had some experience with Data Bases programs in the past such as DBase III, Foxpro and also developed a few application in Clipper which was originally created as a compiler for DBase III language.. Presently I'm the Director of Maintenance of a Non-for-profit organization that provide low-incomem housing for Senior Citizens and I would like to develop an application to keep track of the work performed in the units as well as an inventory of the mechanical equipment. The organization has 24 buildings and about 3600 units of housing. We handle everything with forms and I'm getting overwhelm with the amount of paper work. I'm acquaring FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced version next week. Besides I have to conduct many mandated inspections which again we keep on forms. When a form is misplaced or lost you can imagine the chaos.

Here are some of the tables I think I'll need to create my application. Please note that I'm not an expert and I’m learning FileMaker Pro. Any advice will be appreciated.

Table: Buildings (This table will hold information of each building name, address, phone, fax, etc.)

_pk_Bldg_ID

Bldg_Name

Address

City

State

Telephone#

Fax#

Table: Tenants (This table will hold the information of the tenants such as unit number, tenant name, spouse name, phone number, emergency contact, move-in date or move-out date, if tenant pass away record will be moved to a history file as well as when a tenant move-out)

_fk_Bldg_ID

_pk_Unit_NO

First_Name

Last_Name

Spouse_First

Spouse_Last

Telephone_NO

Emerg_NO

Move_IN

Move_Out

Decease

Table: Work Orders (This table will hold the information of all repairs done in an specific unit with detail information such as category (plumbing, electrical, heat, hardware, etc.), work done, work assigned to, etc.

_pk_WO_NO

_fk_Unit_NO

Date

Time

Category plumbing, electrical, heat, hardware, etc.

Requested_service It can be a combo box with different type of problems, i.e. toilet stopped up, etc.

Entry_Permission radio button (Yes-No)

Assigned_to Employee doing the work

Time_entry

Time_Leaving

Work_Done

Materials_used

Notes

When the work is done the Work Order is checked as completed, otherwise it need to be checked as follow: 1-parts on order, 2-repaired temporarily, 3-outside contractor called.

Table: Appliances (this table will hold the information of the refrigerator, range, and a/c in the apartment with a date installed and history of service)

_fk_Unit_NO

Appl_type Refrigerator, Range or A/C

Manufactures

Model_NO

Serial_NO

I’m a little confused with the equipment inventory because I want to be able to input the information of a name-plate of fans, pumps and motors. For example, every building have an average of 30 Roof Exhaust fans with a manufacturer, model number and serial number but also have a “motor” with his own data, manufacturer, model number, serial number, HP and a whole lot of other information. The same with the “PUMPS”, I thought about the following:

Table: Equipment

_fk_Bldg_ID

_pk_Equip_ID

Equip_Type (Fan, Pump, HVAC, Boilers, etc.)

Equip_Description

Manufacturer

Model_NO

Serial_NO

C.F.M.

Belt_Description

Pump_Capacity

Ft_Head

Table: Motors

_fk_Equip_ID

Manufacturer

Model_NO