3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2014 4:12 AM by wimdecorte

Import Folder now can't see network

RossHurley

Hi all,

FMP11 on Windows. A script step using the Import Records > Folder step which has worked for several years has suddenly stopped working. Clicking the Select button now no longer shows the network locations or attached drives on the user's PC. All it shows is her computer. The same happens with using File > Import Records > Folder direct. But it all shows in Windows Explorer and iTunes - it appears to be just FileMaker. Whether it's a contributing factor or not, the user was away for a year and someone else was doing her job, and he liked 'changing things'. I can't see what he could have changed as he only had a basic privilege set which didn't allow any design access. Perhaps he fiddled with her PC settings..

It's a small peer-to-peer steup and I checked the host PC and Sharing > Network is on and all the approapriate files are set for all user access. I tested it by putting their file onto my PC in my office and File > Import Records > Folder works fine - it sees all networked/attached drives. I've searched archives and can't see that this has been addressed before, so I'm looking for others' advice. Is it something simple I've missed, or is there some setting which may have been changed, only affecting FileMaker?

Thanks,

Ross Hurley

• 1. Re: Import Folder now can't see network
          wimdecorte

Sounds like that other guy fiddled with the Windows settings in some way.  Can you choose "run as administrator" when you launch FM and see if that works?

• 2. Re: Import Folder now can't see network
            RossHurley

Have been back to the client again and done more tests. Following your suggestion, Wim, I've tried opening the system with the full access account but there was no change. The import folder window can still only see the current user's computer only. The other tests I've done are:

• Have tried on other PCs in the office - no change.

• Have tried in other files - no change.

• Have used the client's file in my own office and it works OK.

That seems to rule out the file as the culprit. And as the full network and attached drives can be seen in Windows Explorer and iTunes, it seems it's just FileMaker's import folder process that can't see them. That it's across all PCs in that office would seem to rule out reinstalling FMP on this particular user's PC. But if it's a PC setting, how can it affect FileMaker but not Windows Explorer and iTunes? I've asked them to call in their IT support but, if it's just a FileMaker issue (which they know nothing about), I don't think they'll find anything.

I'm scratching around now, with no resolution in sight. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Ross H

• 3. Re: Import Folder now can't see network
              wimdecorte

RossHurley wrote:

Following your suggestion, Wim, I've tried opening the system with the full access account

That's not what I meant.  I meant telling Windows to run FMP as an administrator.  It's an option when you right-click on the FMP icon.