4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2015 4:00 PM by cloudbase.software

Server 13v5 for OS X PHP missing MySQL support?

PointInSpace

We've got a client that just upgraded their FileMaker Server 13 install to v5 on OS X. Upon doing so, their PHP connectivity to their MySQL databases stopped functioning. On examination of the PHP info file, we found that the configure line shows considerably less built into v5's PHP, including a lack of MySQL support.

Here's the configure line from a 13v4 install:

'/private/var/tmp/apache_mod_php/apache_mod_php-79~1/php/configure' '--prefix=/usr' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--sysconfdir=/private/etc' '--with-apxs2=/usr/sbin/apxs' '--enable-cli' '--with-config-file-path=/etc' '--with-libxml-dir=/usr' '--with-openssl=/usr' '--with-kerberos=/usr' '--with-zlib=/usr' '--enable-bcmath' '--with-bz2=/usr' '--enable-calendar' '--disable-cgi' '--with-curl=/usr' '--enable-dba' '--enable-ndbm=/usr' '--enable-exif' '--enable-fpm' '--enable-ftp' '--with-gd' '--with-freetype-dir=/BinaryCache/apache_mod_php/apache_mod_php-79~1/Root/usr/local' '--with-jpeg-dir=/BinaryCache/apache_mod_php/apache_mod_php-79~1/Root/usr/local' '--with-png-dir=/BinaryCache/apache_mod_php/apache_mod_php-79~1/Root/usr/local' '--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--with-icu-dir=/usr' '--with-iodbc=/usr' '--with-ldap=/usr' '--with-ldap-sasl=/usr' '--with-libedit=/usr' '--enable-mbstring' '--enable-mbregex' '--with-mysql=mysqlnd' '--with-mysqli=mysqlnd' '--without-pear' '--with-pdo-mysql=mysqlnd' '--with-mysql-sock=/var/mysql/mysql.sock' '--with-readline=/usr' '--enable-shmop' '--with-snmp=/usr' '--enable-soap' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-sqlite-utf8' '--enable-suhosin' '--enable-sysvmsg' '--enable-sysvsem' '--enable-sysvshm' '--with-tidy' '--enable-wddx' '--with-xmlrpc' '--with-iconv-dir=/usr' '--with-xsl=/usr' '--enable-zend-multibyte' '--enable-zip' '--with-pcre-regex=/usr' '--with-pgsql=/usr' '--with-pdo-pgsql=/usr'

and here's the configure line from the 13v5 one:

'./configure' '--prefix=/usr/local/php5' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--with-apxs2=/usr/sbin/apxs' '--with-ldap=/usr' '--with-kerberos=/usr' '--enable-cli' '--with-zlib-dir=/usr' '--enable-trans-sid' '--enable-exif' '--without-iconv' '--enable-ftp' '--enable-mbstring' '--enable-mbregex' '--enable-dbx' '--enable-sockets' '--with-iodbc=/usr' '--with-curl=/usr' '--with-openssl' '--with-xsl=/usr'

Has anyone else run into this? Is the only option to install our own build of PHP on the machine? It's very surprising that FileMaker would up and leave out so much in a point upgrade to their software.

- John

• 1. Re: Server 13v5 for OS X PHP missing MySQL support?
          lavendt

First of all, FMI recommend and only support that you use dedicated server for FMS.

So, if you are using the same machine for anything else, you are basically on your own.

There is a buch of good reasons, why you see this after the v5 update.

It is not recommended to run 2 database servers on the same machine, so there is really no reason that FMI should include configurations to MySQL. Another reason is that MySQL is not installed by the OS, so you need to install that manually, and thereby also setup configurations for that.

That being said, you could edit the php.ini file with the needed configurations.

• 2. Re: Server 13v5 for OS X PHP missing MySQL support?
            PointInSpace

There is no good reason not to use FileMaker Server's web server to connect to an external MySQL datasource with PHP.  If you know of a good reason not to do so that I don't, I'm all ears.

MySQL doesn't have to be on the same machine to do so.  Even then, we've had clients run FileMaker Server and MySQL on the same machine with absolutely no problems in the past.

Editing the php.ini file will not allow you to enable MySQL support in FileMaker's PHP install - the PHP module needs to be rebuilt to enable such.

- John

• 3. Re: Server 13v5 for OS X PHP missing MySQL support?
              lavendt

John, I did not get from your post, that you needed to connect to a MySQL that was not on the same machine. In this case, you are right that it should be possibly.

While I have not tried to edit the php.ini file to point to MySQL sockets and ports, I was so sure it should be possibly.

Maybe you know better.

What I do know, is that there is a loads of complex configurations, that FMI has been batteling with and if you see various posts around, you see that people get issues with connecting WPE to the webserver etc.

Add to this, Apple has made a lot of changes in Yosemite as well, which also required a lot of changes from FMI.

v5 rev was supposed to fix a handful of issues on the web side. One very important fix in this vRev was a change in the WPE component so that requests, which include ascii characters below 32 don't make WPE fail completely.

I think you are able to opt for existing php installation, when you install FMS. That might be a way around this for you.

I would also encourage you to report this as a bug to FMI.

• 4. Re: Server 13v5 for OS X PHP missing MySQL support?
                cloudbase.software

John,

I'm curious if/how you resolved this. Did you end up using your own PHP build with the needed extensions, or did you revert back to FMS 13v4? I need the soap extensions, but they're not in 13v5+.