9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2014 7:11 AM by Mike Duncan

Simple remedy to prevent Window resizing?

hbh

Did FM or someone ever figure out a remedy for Windows users who found that every time they opened a new window in FM , the original window was thrown out of its maximized size/position, causing confusion and gnashing of teeth? Looks like this has always been a quirk for FM in Windows, but have things evolved with FM12 or 13? Any easy workarounds out there ? Cheers !

• 1. Re: Simple remedy to prevent Window resizing?
          databuzz

One solution a number of us have adopted is to never actually maximise the original window - resize the window so that it is slightly smaller by a few pixels that the maximised window would be. As the original window is not maximised - but to most users appears to be - when you create a New Window it will not resize the original window as it wasn't maximised to start with.

• 2. Re: Simple remedy to prevent Window resizing?
            Mike_Mitchell

Yeah ... don't maximize windows.   

This is a quirk of how windowing works in Windows. (Although there are ... enthusiastic discussions on whether or not FileMaker is at fault for how they choose to encode window management.) There have been multiple threads on the forum discussing it over the last several months; you can search for them if you want.

Bottom line is, you can deal with this yourself by not maximizing the windows and setting the window size based on the various Get ( ) functions that can detect the user's screen size.

HTH

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Simple remedy to prevent Window resizing?
              hbh

Thanks, Mike and DataBuzz, for your fast guidance. Just can't believe how generous the FM community is; my first post ever, answered at lightnin' speed.  And yup, I had read the other threads but my cockeyed optimism said just maybe the problem was finally fixed. :)

• 4. Re: Simple remedy to prevent Window resizing?
                hbh

See reply below

• 5. Re: Simple remedy to prevent Window resizing?
                  jgalt

hbh wrote:

I had read the other threads but my cockeyed optimism said just maybe the problem was finally fixed.

The fine folks at FileMaker will crush that optimism in no time. FileMaker on Windows is a joke. I have given up any hope that they will ever fix it.

• 6. Re: Simple remedy to prevent Window resizing?
                    fitch

Yes, it's good practice to size the window appropriately, but sometimes your users will maximize the window and then it will resize back to your preset size when a new window is opened.

That may be what you want, but -- to make this a little less jarring, I typically resize the window before opening a new window with a script. If you resize to Get(WindowWidth), a non-maximized window won't change, and a maximized window will un-maximize, but it will only change by a pixel.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Simple remedy to prevent Window resizing?
                      hbh

Thanks.  I resorted to using a new window script that resizes the original window to almost maximized and then opens the new window (which in this case is a tiny floating window, a "pallette" displaying drop down fields full of text the user can drag and drop into fields in the original window). I realized it's a good idea to also include a step to prevent the user from maximizing either of these windows until finished or you're just back to the original problem.

As I'm a greenhorn, however, I wonder if other developers would  instead opt to run all windows (in Windows) fully maximized at all times and use some alternate method to allow users to pull up lots of static text, read it, and then move selected bits into their fields (in the original window). Any thoughts? Thanks

• 9. Re: Simple remedy to prevent Window resizing?
                        Mike Duncan

The flip side of this is to *always* maximize on windows. IMO, this provides a better end user experience on the windows platforms, and you can control placement with anchoring content if you need to center it, for example. You can put this in one place with a script that tests for the platform and maximizes if you're on windows.