4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2014 10:00 PM by SecretWeaponLabs

LAN freeze . . WAN no-freeze (?)

user10625

Hi all,

BACKGROUND:

For almost a year now, a large system I work on has had these intermittent server freezes--average of about 1 per week (sometimes twice a week, other times nothing for several weeks).

We are on FMS13 . . .(Windows Server 2008) . . it's been happening from v1-v4 (or whatever the latest is . . . I just upgraded a week ago). It started happening a few weeks after the FMS13 upgrade, though that may have been a coincidence. They are "freezes" . . . everyone in the office's FMP just stops and they get a coffee cup / spinning wheel, and I have to re-start the server. The Elapsed Time goes off the charts on the server logs. Most users are on Windows 7, although we 2 developers use MACs as well as Windows . .the MACs both freeze up as well.

We've so far not been able to find a source for the problem or a solution. Our server is pretty beefy (quad-core, terabyte of disk space in RAID 10, 24G of RAM---the total database size (split mostly between 2 files) is something like 12G); and I've made sure Virus stuff is turned off. There are other services on the machine like MOZY for offline backups of the backups, and I think we also use EVAULT for the same---both of which run late at night. So I do not think there is anything out of the ordinary or misbehaving on this machine. User count is usually around 30 or so. However, these freezes have occurred sometimes at 6PM, when only 10 people are on, so I dont' think it's a load issue. I thought at one point it had something to do with ESS . . we have an SQL system that we sync to every 20 minutes … . .but I do not think it is that, either.

NUTTY EVENT:

So this morning, it happened again.

I was logged in directly on my MAC from my home office . . in other words, the WAN. I was also logged in on the LAN, via a terminal server /RDP setup.

So the freeze happened, and my LAN connection froze inside the termserv , as per usual.

But my WAN connection did NOT freeze. . . . for several minutes (before I had to re-start so folks could get back to work), I was able to navigate around, invoke some of the more complex scripts, and so on and everything worked fine. (a little slower because it was a WAN connection.) There was no sign that the WAN connection was going to die or freeze up.

(I didn't think to log into the server, and open the files directly on there (through Open Remote of course)--that would have been a good thing to test.)

So the question is . . . can anyone think of a reason why a LAN connection would freeze up, but a WAN connection would not?

Thanks,

Christopher Bailey

• 1. Re: LAN freeze . . WAN no-freeze (?)
          wimdecorte

user10625 wrote:

Our server is pretty beefy (quad-core, terabyte of disk space in RAID 10, 24G of RAM---the total database size (split mostly between 2 files) is something like 12G);

That's not beefy.  Since the elapsed time/call is going through the roof, it is a clear sign that you need a lot more processing power to do what your users are trying to do.

Since it also happens with 10 users, that points to some inefficiency in the design, in combination with load.

For good measure: are there any DMP files in the FMS logs folder?

user10625 wrote:

There are other services on the machine like MOZY for offline backups of the backups, and I think we also use EVAULT for the same---both of which run late at night.

I would start with removing those.  Get another box to do your backups.  Having both Mozy and Evault on the FMS box is just asking for mis-configuration trouble.  Both of them need to be configured to exclude the live files, backup folders and temp folders otherwise they can interfere with FMS.   Trying to keep that in good working oder over time is more risk that I would want to handle.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: LAN freeze . . WAN no-freeze (?)
            DavidJondreau

Just to clarify, everyone on the WAN freezes, not just one user at a time. How do you handle file references to external datasources for a LAN user versus a WAN user? I mean, how does the client app know which DNS address to use?

I've run into problems with server-side scripts that weren't optimized and would hang the server and spin all the WAN users. We don't have LAN users. Can you grab the logs and see if there's any pattern (people logging in, scripts running, time of day, day of week, etc)?

• 3. Re: LAN freeze . . WAN no-freeze (?)
              user10625

user10625 wrote:

There are other services on the machine like MOZY for offline backups of the backups, and I think we also use EVAULT for the same---both of which run late at night.

> I would start with removing those.  Get another box to do your backups.  Having both Mozy and Evault > on the FMS box is just asking for mis-configuration trouble.  Both of them need to be configured to

> exclude the live files, backup folders and temp folders otherwise they can interfere with FMS.   Trying > to keep that in good working oder over time is more risk that I would want to handle.

I removed EVAULT. 

If I am 100% certain that MOZY does not touch the live files****, does the mere presence of a MOZY service, lying dormant (or does it?), mean that it may interfere with the FM Server operation?

(****we don't use it to back up "the server", just to backup one set of FMP's backups, and this is carefully timed:  FMS backs up this set at 12:30AM, MOZY grab those backups at 2:30 AM, long after FMP is done backing up.)

Thanks,

Christopher Bailey

• 4. Re: LAN freeze . . WAN no-freeze (?)
                SecretWeaponLabs

Is there something happening on the LAN itself rather than the server?  Can you wireshark traffic?  Just an idea