5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2014 11:27 AM by beverly

Instrument Manager

stefan_s

Hi all,

I am on the verge of re-developing a veterinary laboratory solution to connect to a middleware application called Instrument Manager.

I am on a pretty tight schedule, and would appreciate some pointers or discuss the middleware with someone who has worked with it.

TIA,

Stefan Schütt, Mouse Up, Finland

• 1. Re: Instrument Manager
          mikebeargie

I would contact the middleware developer to see if they can recommend someone, it will probably be faster than trying to search for someone with experience here.

• 2. Re: Instrument Manager
            beverly

I would contact the middleware developer to see if they can recommend someone, it will probably be faster than trying to search for someone with experience here.

Good advice, Mike, but some of these middlewares have never heard of FileMaker and wouldn't know where to help.

Rather than that, Stefan needs to hear from FM developers familiar with Instrument Manager.

AND

Get as much info from the IM that is not FM (but might be useful other wise:

1. What database do they use?

2. is the database "open" to outside communication (push and/or pull)?

3. what 'interface' is used to access the database? (web based or other)

4. are there APIs that can be used to interact with the middleware?

5. what method is used with the APIs (web app, direct queries, etc.)?

These all help. Speak SQL, speak web, speak Excel.

Tell them you want to INTEGRATE, but don't confuse them if you say FileMaker.

Get the information you need then plan how you can leverage it IN FileMaker.   For example, if there's a way to use Excel with this middleware, might there also be a way to use FileMaker. Or perhaps it's middleware->Excel->FileMaker.

Beverly

• 3. Re: Instrument Manager
              mikebeargie

Good advice, Mike, but some of these middlewares have never heard of FileMaker and wouldn't know where to help.

I've been saved hours of work by a two minute call to a vendor to get info before, so it never hurts to try!

• 4. Re: Instrument Manager
                stefan_s

Hi Bev,

Thanks for chiming in.

And yes, I have been in contact with the vendor of this software.

They are not complete strangers to FMP. But they didn't have more knowledge, than "someone had once made an FMP solution work with IM". I tried to get specifics, but they were unable to help. My impression was, that it was not because of lack of will.

The company is a big one, and they are kind of divided US/rest of the world. In practice, this means, that the European guys don't have very much contact with the US guys.

So, by writing my request here, I was hoping for someone in the Americas to maybe have some experience.

To your questions,

1. SQL - don't know the exact flavour

2. discussed the push/pull stuff through direct means. Timetable was too long to be practical.

3. Actually, file exchange, which I don't really mind

4. Well kinda, their own. I'm in the process of studying...

I've spoken with them about all of these. Fortunately, they didn't flinch, when I mentioned FMP.

But for now, we'll be going the file exchange (.txt with a very special looking content - some field delimiters are pipes, other are "hats" (^), but still plain ASCII text mainly).

So, if there's somebody out there that has done something with this middleware, please send me a note.

cheers

Beverly Voth <noreply@filemaker.com> kirjoitti 8.12.2014 kello 16.31:

created by Beverly Voth in Advanced Discussion - View the full discussion

Rather than that, Stefan needs to hear from FM developers familiar with Instrument Manager.

AND

Get as much info from the IM that is not FM (but might be useful other wise:

1. What database do they use?

2. is the database "open" to outside communication (push and/or pull)?

3. what 'interface' is used to access the database? (web based or other)

4. are there APIs that can be used to interact with the middleware?

5. what method is used with the APIs (web app, direct queries, etc.)?

These all help. Speak SQL, speak web, speak Excel.

Tell them you want to INTEGRATE, but don't confuse them if you say FileMaker.

Get the information you need then plan how you can leverage it IN FileMaker.    For example, if there's a way to use Excel with this middleware, might there also be a way to use FileMaker. Or perhaps it's middleware->Excel->FileMaker.

Beverly

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on FileMaker Technical Network

Start a new discussion in Advanced Discussion by email or at FileMaker Technical Network

Manage your email preferences.

FileMaker Developer Conference 2015 • Las Vegas • Nevada • July 20-23 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

• 5. Re: Instrument Manager
                  beverly

Right! and then I listed what info to try to get...

Beverly