1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2014 9:22 AM by tdennis

Portal issue

tdennis

I have a layout (layout A) with multiple portals.

i.e

Portal A

Portal B

Portal C

Portal D

I also have a reporting layout (layout B) created. I'd like to show the information from the portals on layout B, but it only shows me the first line from each portal.

Any way simple to fix this?

• 1. Re: Portal issue
          erolst

Please refrain from using abstract names like A, B etc.; this makes it very hard to focus on the problem. Describe your real-life setup, using actual names.

• 2. Re: Portal issue
            keywords

Tick to comments by erolst. That aside, the most likely thing is that layout B is based on a different TO and hence the portal relationship doesn't work. Remember, context is king.

• 3. Re: Portal issue
              tdennis

Noted - well in a nutshell, I'd like to display information from multiple portals, on one reporting layout. So far, it only pulls the information from row one in each portal.

• 4. Re: Portal issue
                tdennis

Hmmn.... confused. It's grabbing the information from each portal, but it's only displaying the first row from each.

• 5. Re: Portal issue
                  PSI

You don't provide nearly enough info to answer that question. What table is Layout A and Layout B. ased on.

What do the portals show? Data from the same table filtered or data from different tables?

• 6. Re: Portal issue
                    tdennis

I've added of a screenshot of the relationship. (since I've already started using letters I'll go continue to use them to minimize confusion)

Layout A has all of the information from the assets table(see screenshot).

Layout B is a sub-summary reporting layout that I created to show the information from layout A to show to clients.

I also have 4 other tables which feed into the Assets layout.

They are displayed on the assets layout via 4 seperate portals.

On the reports layout they are only showing the first row from each portal. Some of the portals have multiple rows.

Does that help?

• 7. Re: Portal issue
                      mark_scott

Hi tdennis,

You've stumbled on one of the reasons that portals are usually not used in report layouts; the common recommendation is to avoid them in reporting.  Try basing your report on your "Join AssetComps" table occurence instead.  You can add subsummary parts to group the report by Assets (plus any combination of the other four tables). Before displaying/printing your report, be sure to sort by Assets first.  That said, you might have a data modelling problem here, making reporting (among other things) harder than it needs to be, although it's hard to say for sure just looking at your rel'p diagram.  Seeing a common join table joining 5 other tables gives me that gut feeling, at least.

hth,

Mark

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Portal issue
                        DavidJondreau

I think there is one or more of three separate issues going on. First is your table structure. I'm not sure having those 4 tables is the best way to handle your data. Those are four separate tables, right? Not 4 instances of the same table? Also, multi hopping through relationships can be confusing. If you're showing JoinAssetComps data from the Assets context, you're going to get one record per JoinAssetComps table, not four. Also, keep in mind, a portal is best for displaying basic information. Using a portal to print or for sub-summary reporting is usually too annoying to be worthwhile.

What Table Occurrence is Layout B based on? What table occurrence is the portal on Layout B based on?

Based on the info presented, I'm guessing you should have a table which each record is one of the four for each of the assets. Basically combine your four tables and you'll base your reporting layout on that table.

• 9. Re: Portal issue
                          DavidJondreau

Basing the report on the Join Asset Comps table could work. Certainly worth a try, as it's a lot less work than restructing all the data (which may be necessary anyway).

• 10. Re: Portal issue
                            erolst

Hard to say what's the reason for your issue because I cannot discern what those four tables and (more to the point) the relationships between them are doing; also, we cannot see your data; maybe it's something simple as a missing key in the middle TO, or that there simply aren't related records … OTOH …

Generally speaking, portals aren't the best devices for reports; also, the best place to base a report layout on is the table that has the most granular data – which by definition is a child table, rather than a parent. Your splitting similar data into four (and possibly more down the road) tables means that these data are granular in their own domain, but separated, and you need to unify them (temporarily, at least).

Reporting (and other tasks) are easier if you start out with the reverse construct, i.e. …

• create a unified version of the 4 tables to the right, distinguishing them by a “type” field (or whatever it is that “LED”, “Static“ etc denote)

• restructure the relationships accordingly

• base your report on a layout of that table

• add a sub-summary part "by type"

• find the related records belonging to an asset

• sort by type

• display related info from the parent (Asset?) table

This new structure is much more flexible, both for this report and the future growth of your solution. You don't need to add new (mostly identical) tables, relationships, procedures etc. for new “types” – and you don't have to modify your report layout (add more portals) to accommodate them; the sub-summary part will simply summarize the records you feed it and incorporate new types automatically.

• 11. Re: Portal issue
                              tdennis

Thanks a lot Mark! Below is how I have the assets page setup along with the reporting layout. Reason why I have it like this is because I need to be able to select from the other tables, via a dropdown menu in the portals. When I do this, the clients want to see proper names instead of the auto-generated key/id that I've created.Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 11.42.22 AM.png

• 12. Re: Portal issue
                                tdennis

Hi David -  Some background.

An asset is made up of multiple components(4 types). The assets page(Layout A) needs to reflect various combinations of these components and I do this through 4 portals. Each component is in a separate table and each has their own layout because they each have different information and calculations, but need to be mixed and matched to create assets.

The report(layout B) needs to show the asset information along with some of the component information.

As for JoinAssetComps, This only has summaries I've done and calculations to combine each portal in some of my formulas. It also houses the component IDs for my 4 components.

Does that make more sense?

Thanks a lot for your help, guys! I'm learning as I go.

• 13. Re: Portal issue
                                  tdennis

Thanks a lot for your help through this, first off! Here is some background on what I'm trying to do.

An asset is made up of multiple components(4 of them). The assets page(Layout A) needs to reflect various combinations of these components and I do this through 4 portals. Each component is in a separate table and each has their own layout because they have different information and calculations, but need to be mixed and matched to create a full asset.

An example is TVs and parts of that TV.

The report(layout B) needs to show the asset information along with some of the component information.

As for JoinAssetComps, This only has summaries I've done and calculations to combine each portal in some of my formulas. It also houses the component IDs for my 4 components.

Does that make more sense?

• 14. Re: Portal issue
                                    tdennis

Pardon me, but can you put this in layman’s terms?

"Basing the report on the Join Asset Comps table could work."

1 2 Previous Next